• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hiramatsu

cabrales

PS: BTW, I never had one of the best meals of my life, even when the restaurant was in the 4th... Actually, I just don't understand why a skilled japanese chef tries to cook like, say, Robuchon or any other "classic" french chef. What's the point? :blink:

Probably for the same reason that someone like Robuchon and many other French chefs are trying to incorporate Asian techniques and flavors into their cuisine.

I appreciate Zouave's report. It kills any thoughts of dining at Hiramatsu. There are two Ateliers de Robuchon in Tokyo. I lunched two months ago at the one in Nihonbashi. It was good but rather pricey and did not induce any inclination to return. I don't want to use the word French but there is excellent continental food in Tokyo.

I, for one, have not yet tried it, but have heard only glowing reports ...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I appreciate Zouave's report. It kills any thoughts of dining at Hiramatsu. There are two Ateliers de Robuchon in Tokyo. I lunched two months ago at the one in Nihonbashi. It was good but rather pricey and did not induce any inclination to return. I don't want to use the word French  but there is excellent continental food in Tokyo.

"Continental food": pirate, that's exactly it! Well of course, to be honest, I did eat one or two interesting things at Hiramatsu (the lobster entree with a strong vanilla custard (???) on the top, the langoustines with some jellied grapefruit) : but then again, I'd rather go back to Rocuchon's Atelier to get such a classic french fare. And although I don't like everything at l'Atelier, I must admit technique and flavours are sharper than at Hiramatsu.

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

• 3 years later...

I thought this report from a friend who went to Hiramatsu (not on my recommendation) and Ze (on my recommendation,) was enlightening.

Hiramatsu was forgettable.  Expensive, beautiful classy modern room with Asian touches.  Not a soul there for an hour after we arrived at 8 Tuesday except for a private party of 12 in a small other room.  Finally three other couples arrived, but one left after looking at the menu for 15 minutes.  The appetizer teasers they brought when we sat down tasted, well, tasteless. The amuse bouche was not amusing. We got a tasting menu, first course, of course, was foie gras, nothing special, then a dorade, nothing special, then baby veal, in a strange combo of flavors sauce. not only was it not memorable, but the portions were too big, and we were over full by then  The cheese course was marked by a vacheron not as good as the one at your house a few hours before, a very young, not ripe at all Brillat Savarin, and a decent, though young comte. Dessert, of which there ended up being a number due to [the] birthday, were not memorable.  Everything was nicely presented and service was quite good (though it should have been since we were outnumbered by the staff)  We had a fun evening at Ze Kitchen Galerie, relaxed, good food, lively.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris