• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 for $25

The hubby and I went to Nell's last night for our final 25 for $25 until March..oh so sad...

I've been once last year but Dayne had not. We were seated in the middle area in a booth. We both decided to go with the wine pairings for an additional $20. They were fantastic!!

We both started with the potato leek soup with thyme and tuscan olive oil. I make a lot of this soup and have to say that I will be adding thyme to it now! very delish. The potatoes were pureed while the leeks left in a small chop, excellent texture and flavor. This was paired with a glass of Kanu, Chenin Blanc south Africa 2003 and went together flawlessly!!

Next up Dayne had the Butternut Squash Risotto with Kale and Parm. The risotta was done perfectly! this was paired with a Labo Barbera, italy 2001. Very nice.

I had the Striped Marlin with white beans, spinach and basil brown butter. YUM!! The fish was perfectly crisp on the outside but still moist on the inside. The white beans and spinach were a huge hit together and I don't generally like cooked spinach. Very nicely paired with a Campuget Viognier, France 2003.

For dessert I had the ginger creme brulee with cardamom shortbread cookies. Creme brulee had just the right amount of ginger. Paired with a Hidalgo Rare Napoleon sherry, Spain- love this! must find it and buy it! anyone???

Dayne had the apple crisp with cranberry ice cream and cinnamon currants. He inhaled this! paired with Syncline last harvest chenin blanc Columbia Valley 2003

I mentioned Jon Sconz from this board who knows the chef and Chef Phil Mihalski came out and chatted with us for a while. He is very nice and interesting to talk to.

We will definately go back as the food is very good and so are the prices. I still think the interior is strange though. We agreed that the aucoustic tile ceiling, yellow paint and big double glass doors really need to go!

Wendy

Could someone please clarify, or tell me where to look, when the 25 for $25 promotion is running, and also if any restaurants are doing this promotion year-round? I will be home over the holidays and am wondering if, say, the Flying Fish lunch deal will still be in effect.

it ended last night.

we celebrated by going to Union (an unofficial participant, with its own $25 menu). lovely food, small portions. but it was five courses instead of three, which probably equalled the same amount of food, albeit over a longer time period.

the goat's milk sorbet (at least that's what i recall it being) was particularly gorgeous.

Could someone please clarify, or tell me where to look, when the 25 for $25 promotion is running, and also if any restaurants are doing this promotion year-round? I will be home over the holidays and am wondering if, say, the Flying Fish lunch deal will still be in effect.

For the last few years it's run during March and November and is usually publisized on nwsource.com.

Many restaurants, including Cascadia, Brasserie Margaux, etc, now have $25 menus available year-round.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946