• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

VIPs

mascarpone

I ate at New York Noodle Town tonight and after paying the tab for a great meal of seafood congee, salt baked squid and roast pork and asparagus (around $30 with tip) I looked over my shoulder and spotted Ed Koch hunched over a plate of Roast Duck. I asked the lady at the register if he ate there often and she thought he was a regular.

Where and what do VIPs eat or drink ?

Most of the classic, Old New York places like Peter Luger and Katz's (and of course Rao's) get their fair share of New York royalty. So do all the best restaurants -- anyplace that's top-tier haute (especially Daniel) or that's the best in its category (like NY Noodle Town but also the best Japanese places et al.). Then there are the Elaine's-type places that have their followers. But there are also some lesser-known places that appear to be just regular old neighborhood restaurants but are nonetheless packed to the gills with the glitterati. For example, in my neighborhood there's a totally unremarkable "Northern Italian" place called Vico, on Madison Avenue between 92nd and 93rd. When I walk the dog in the early evening I see heavy hitters there all the time -- Ralph Lauren, Paul Newman, Woody Allen, Kevin Kline (not to mention my favorite celberity of all, Burt Young aka Paulie from Rocky) and respective spouses -- or at a couple of other equally unremarkable restaurants on that same block. It's just, for a variety of reasons, a block where a lot of famous people dine out casually on a semi-regular basis. And those are just the people I recognize. If, unlike me, you know what all the famous producers, politicians, and captains of industry look like you'll spot a lot more folks than I ever will.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Even VIPs eat at crappy restaurants. Some even eat at Riese food courts. I met Jamie Farr at a Nathans food court off Times Square once.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There's also this whole Midtown culture of power lunch places. I'm not as up on it as I once was but back in the '90s it was "44" and the Four Seasons, and now I hear the Lever House has captured some of that crowd.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks for the response. The power lunch places sounds like an interesting potential category (perhaps... )

Or, another possible thread "I can't believe I caught VIP so-and-so eating such-and-such at this hum-drum restaurant. " Perhaps it could be called "VIPs with defective tastebuds". :biggrin:

Or, another possible thread "I can't believe I caught VIP so-and-so eating such-and-such at this hum-drum restaurant. " Perhaps it could be called "VIPs with defective tastebuds".  :biggrin:

Yeah - but isn't the presumption if you caught them eating there, you were there too? :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Years ago, when Alfredo Viazzi had his restaurants, we sat next to James Coco and the woman who played Mother Nature in commercials (remember: "It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature."?) Alas, Alfredo and his wonderful restaurants are gone, Jimmy Coco is gone (anyone else see him in The Ritz?) But the memory lingers on. :biggrin:

I eat in restaurants in Tribeca a lot, and so do a lot of the big shots who live there. We all seem to pick places with good food and no attitude. I wonder why that is? :unsure::huh::laugh: (And when I worked at Zeppole, of course DeNiro showed up a lot, and Harvey Keitel, and Kevin Spacey. Hey, it was just a neighborhood place.)

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

ive served quite a few celebs at bouley ranging from deniro, pat sajack, lyle lovet(sp), koch and teh list goes on and on. I do also agree that batali has his following because my friend ran into cosby there last month or so.

It is funny that this topic came up b/c I was just talking to my friend the other day about this. He did an internship at Balthazar, and apparently they have a separate phone # for celebs/VIPs. We joked about posting it on egullet for everyone's enjoyment... :biggrin:

Is having a separate # commone practice for popular spots?

"I can resist everything except temptation." Oscar Wilde

Great piece about this called "Lining Up" in Steingarten's It Must've Been Something I Ate.

It is funny that this topic came up b/c I was just talking to my friend the other day about this.  He did an internship at Balthazar, and apparently they have a separate phone # for celebs/VIPs.  We joked about posting it on egullet for everyone's enjoyment... :biggrin:

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

It is funny that this topic came up b/c I was just talking to my friend the other day about this.  He did an internship at Balthazar, and apparently they have a separate phone # for celebs/VIPs.  We joked about posting it on egullet for everyone's enjoyment... :biggrin:

like many restaurants, Balthazar has a separate unlisted phone number (easily obtainable by Google)....do they have a third on top of that? I doubt it since the first thing they ask for on the unlisted number is your name (even if they don't know you it still gets you a reservation when the regular number can't)

all the Batali spots are celeb-heavy (Lupa is popular for cast parties)...Corner Bistro gets its share as well.

Visiting athletes frequent Tao. In most smaller cities, you can just about always find pro athletes at the local Morton's. Often, it's the only place open post-game.

And no, I'm not a groupie. I work in sports! :raz::biggrin:

Celebrities don't just go to expensive places...Grey Dog Cafe has an interesting clientele. Bar Pitti as well.

At one point in time a fair number of celebs could be spotted at Tribeca Grill and you might run into some drinking at the ear Inn on occasion. My only celeb brush up was having pizza slices at a standup table at Joe's on 7th Avenue South when Cuba Gooding Jr. was scarfing slices with his buddies at the next table over.

It's NYC - could happen anywhere. Would I be correct in thinking that Nobu and JG also get their fair share of notables?

i would say Nobu is probably still a good spot to spot celebs. Roseanne was dining there on my last visit. from what he has said, Howard Stern would eat there practically every sunday, and still goes occasionally.

i saw more than a few at Union Pacific over the years as well. although that might have changed. :laugh::sad:

Edited by tommy (log)

George Clooney used to frequent the bar at Morgans Hotel, but that was ages ago.  Now he's here in DC a lot.

he can be found eating at the Knickerbocker over on University every now and then.. a bunch of local celebs seem to like it, low key atmosphere, eat at the bar and chat with the neighbors.. decent steak if you're not in the mood to head to a full on steakhouse..

Cedar Tavern draws in it's fair share of celebs.. old world nyc type of place where you can have a casual drink or so..

Tao always draws in hip-hop stars as well.. Jay-Z and Beyonce frequent it upon returning from out of town..

at night, you can usually find a bunch of models, movie stars, etc. over in the MePa bars.. same goes with the clubs- Avalon and Marquee are two of the big ones..

I think many celebs also eat in the neighborhoods where they live. For example, I've also spotted Koch (who lives around Park Ave So. and 8th St) at my favorite Japanese spot, Japonica (11th and University). I saw Winona Ryder (lives on Gramercy Park) at Verbena (on Irving Place, since closed & now Pure Food & Wine). I saw Gwyneth Paltrow once at Blue Ribbon in the West Village, seated at one of the quiet, off-the-beaten-track tables downstairs.

I once ran into almost the entire Seattle Seahawks defense in the Starbucks here in my little town. Literally, it was kind of a crowded thing. They're big.

I expect travelling athletes just look for anything familiar.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I had a brief stint as a waiter at a restaurant on Madison and 92nd called Busby's when I was in college in 1991. My table waiting career abruptly ended when I accidentally dropped a tray holding five steins of Pilsner all over an exec's Armani suit. The lesson I learned from this experience was that finding humor in difficult situations can get you through them (like the look on the exec's face as he saw the steins heading for his lap :laugh::laugh::laugh: ).

At any rate, in the short time that I worked at Busbys (lunches only) other waiters served Gerrick Utley, Sigourney Weaver, and Dustin Hoffman. I seem to recall that a fellow waiter said that Hoffman asked her if the Mussels were good, and when she said they were his reply was "Your not trying to con me now are you?"

I think Busbys has since closed.