• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winery recs in Italy

Michael M

I posted this on the Italy forum, but it just occurred to me that this one might be more appropriate.

I've been stumbling along the past few years attempting to figure out how to change careers while still keeping my current one. I have a passion for food, wine and Italy, and lately have been taking more seriously my study of wine and the Italian language, taking some classes, talking with people in the business (wine, food, etc.) trying to find some direction.

I have time off at the end of December that I will be using to take an Italian language course in either Bologna or Florence, depending on ticket prices. I've been to both before on vacation, but am looking to approach this week as a learning session, as well as trying to figure out...well, what career am I stumbling towards exactly?

So, do you have any recommendations for wineries I could visit near either of these cities? I have quite a list from books, but no personal recs. I'm also a big fan of wines from Puglia, the Tre Venezie and Piedmont - I will have a few extra days without classes that I could take a train somewhere if there are a collection of wineries nearby. Or wine bars, for that matter.

Or if you have the answer for me, and know my future career, letting me know now would be really nice, too.

Thanks!

You are literally one week late with this post. Somewhat joking. Up until last week, Craig Camp was a co-host of this forum and the Italy forum. He's since left to focus more on his own venture centered around Italian wines.

My suggestion is that you visit his web site, VinoCibo, and get in touch with him there. I'm not certain how much he'll be checking in here.

Craig is originally from the Chicago area and now lives outside of Milano.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero