• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Half-OT: Hoboken Festival?

all-u-care-2

(Half-OT because Hoboken has restaurants, and some are involved in this festival; my particular quarry was going to be India on the Hudson, or at least its stand)

I had been planning to go to today's (9/19) Hoboken Fall Arts & Music Festival, except that due to flooding in the downtown, the buses to NY are bypassing Easton. :sad: I might still come down later in the week once the water recedes, maybe go to San Gennaro or something. Anyone know if the festival went on as scheduled?

Edited by all-u-care-2 (log)

BOB

It's on--today, from 11-6.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The Hoboken fest was indeed on today. Train, definitely the way to get there.

The Fleshtones were very entertaining. Thanks to tommy for that recommendation, without it I wouldn't have taken the earlier train to catch their set. Glad I did.

Eric Burdon closed his show with Ghostriders In The Sky. I was flattered. :laugh:

The Indian food guys were out in force, all with the same signs & same food (CTM, CB, VS, stewed chickpeas), all unchanged from springtime. Still don't know if they all cook their own food, or just one of the places provides for the occasion.

Sherri's Crab Cakes looked & smelled first-rate, & had a consistent 1/4-block line all afternoon; which, in Hoboken, means a long wait.

My friend got some "Carolina pulled pork" somewhere in midfest which he said was good, tho not a rave.

I didn't eat at the fest, alas. Due to an unfortunate incident at an NYC Thai place on Friday which took me way off my low-salt diet, I'm not eating anything that I haven't prepared myself for the next week.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Since I was heading to my cooking group (which is usually an eat-fest), I didn't plan on having anything to eat on Washington Street today. Got a great parking spot, listened to the band that was on around 2pm (Tim Hearth?? Tin Heart?? Dunno--but they were fun, and good musicians to boot), and then headed up through the HUGE crowd. Saw the pulled pork booth with its line, the fruit shakes, the Italian ices, the long twisty pretzels, the stuff on a stick, etc., and what turned out to be the first of two India on the Hudson booths. And I kept walking. I bought a Corian trivet with a moose cutout in the center. I marveled at what people were paying for total crap. Then I spotted this one booth with a sign that said Jordan's Ice Cream. And a list of about 8 flavors--the last of which was pumpkin. OH, how I love me some pumpkin ice cream. Or pumpkin ravioli. Or pumpkin anything!! With the autumnal chill in the air, I decided it was time to officially open my palette's fall flavor profile. You know...pumpkin, fig, port, etc. A sample told me this wasn't just pumpkin ice cream--it was GOOD pumpkin ice cream. So I had an amuse before the cooking group met. As Martha says, A Good Thing. :biggrin:

Found out from gals in the cooking group who live in town that the owner of Jordan's is terrific (as is the staff), that the ice cream has a great rep (mine was very creamy and SO full of pumpkin flavor), the store is very supportive of local organizations, and that they're lamenting the fact that a Cold Stone Creamery is supposed to be moving in across the street. Why, why, WHY does Hoboken continue to allow the big guys to swoop in like that?!? I mean, I know the answer, but YEESH. This is my war cry--support the little guys! I know it's something that we talk about a lot on eG, but maybe not so blatantly. Restaurants, ice cream parlors, coffee houses, etc. Jordan's is on Washington Street around 4th Street.

My rant for the evening. 'cause I'm not touching the Rocca controversy... :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Tin Huey. You make me sorry I didn't get there even earlier.

Jordan's ice cream, I will remember that. I noticed them, but wrong time of day. Hope they prevail against ColdStone.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

The Indian food guys were out in force, all with the same signs & same food (CTM, CB, VS, stewed chickpeas), all unchanged from springtime. Still don't know if they all cook their own food, or just one of the places provides for the occasion.

All three (India on the Hudson, Saffron, and Karma Cafe) are all owned by the same people, which would likely account for the signage (and my dislike for all three).

A newcomer has arrived Bombay West which i have reviewed in this forum just a week or so ago.

A newcomer has arrived Bombay West which i have reviewed in this forum just a week or so ago.

I also saw another new Indian restaurant--Saffron (on the menu in the window, it said Saffron Grill, but not on the sign) on about 3rd and Bloomfield. I'm wondering if they are at all connected to Saffron in E. Hanover. Mom tells me she has friends who say it's excellent. Anyone been there?

Edit: Duh--just noticed you mentioned Saffron. Are you sure they're the same owners as IOTH and KK? Interesting, but it makes me wonder why they'd run 3 restaurants in the Mile Square!

And as for the dishes that were available, my guess is that just like most of the other vendors--those are the foods that are cheapest and that survive the best when sitting on sterno/outside for the day. I picked up a pair of samosas that are now in my freezer, just waiting for the night when I'm dying for Indian food but can't get to Hoboken...

Edited by Curlz (log)

All three (India on the Hudson, Saffron, and Karma Cafe) are all owned by the same people, which would likely account for the signage (and my dislike for all three).

Ouchie. I ate at Karma at my last fest (Fall 02), not thrilled tho the meats were ok. Maybe I should just drop in on a regular day?

I'll go check that out, tnx...

BOB

Are you sure they're the same owners as IOTH and KK?

Yeah, i'm sure.

Saffron opened (about 2 years ago) and from the start was AMAZING! Great food and a great staff. They had some 'newbie' pains at first with the kitchen not coordinating meals to come out at the same time and not knowing how to juggle the eat-in vs. take-out orders... but they developed a loyal and growing following. My wife and i would go about 4-6 times per month.

About one year after opening they sold to the Karma/IOH guys and the change was noticable and apparent immediately.... everything fell off a cliff (in a bad way). We went back 3 times after they changed hands, waiting at least a month each time, hoping that things would improve... they never did and we haven't been back.

About one year after opening they sold to the Karma/IOH guys and the change was noticable and apparent immediately.... everything fell off a cliff (in a bad way).  We went back 3 times after they changed hands, waiting at least a month each time, hoping that things would improve... they never did and we haven't been back.

What a shame! Having been to both KK and IOTH, I've only been to KK once, but continue to stick with IOTH. Perhaps it's just too much for them to juggle in one town.