• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On To Oktoberfests!

Rich Pawlak

They're HERE! The beverage store shelves are starting to show this season's Oktoberfest beers, and it's a wonderful time of the year. SO far I've grabbed sixers of local Flying Fish Oktoberfish (had a glorious glassful of the stuff at Philly's Grey Lodge Pub the other night, and baby, it's a winner) and Lowebrau's Oktoberfestbier, and am planning to sample them tonight in our weekly beer chat on www.starchat.net (click on StarPirch, Channels, the "No Bull Inn") at approx 11:30 EST. Tasting notes to follow.....

So what have you found out there, Oktoberfest-wise? Tasting notes, please!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I driving through Durand Wisconsin today and i picked up a 6 pack of Tyranena Brewing Oktoberfest. I have never heard of this Brewery before so i decided to grab it and give it a try.

Im drinking it as i type this and I would highly reccomend it. They have a website www.tryanena.com. They are located out of Lake Mills Wisconsin

Last night's tasting of Flying Fish Oktoberfish and Lowenbrau Oktoberfestbier on our weekly beer chat onStarchat. net with some fellow inbibers, went as follows:

FF Oktoberfish: rich, deep amber, with a slight sour cherry/plum aroma in the head, and a dense, malty first sip, almost a molasses note, and a nice smooth, tight finish. A great big mouthfull of Oktoberfest.

Lowenbrau Oktoberfestbier: light golden with a puffy white head, slight skunk, and no malt discernable at first, but as it warms, great big bites of malt and hops, sharp and sweet all at once. Lighter than the FF (and most other American versions of this style), but pretty decent, if unexpectedly light in color and texture.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Can I include pumpkin beers? 'Tis the season...

I had Heartland Brewery's seasonal offering last night, Smiling Pumpkin Ale. Either I don't like pumpkin beers or I have yet to find one that I like. Well, the trend continues. The pumpkin pie flavors were there, although subtle, but the beer lacked body, was on the watery side. Next time, I'll stick with the Farmer John's.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Can I include pumpkin beers?  'Tis the season...

These are relatively common? I had a bottle of "Post Road Pumpkin Ale" when I was home in CT last year, and liked it, but haven't been able to find any others. I know there's a bottle left, and I'll be back up there in a week or two...have to drink it and give notes (Assuming it's still good). Don't remember it being overly watery, however.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Can I include pumpkin beers?  'Tis the season...

I had Heartland Brewery's seasonal offering last night, Smiling Pumpkin Ale.  Either I don't like pumpkin beers or I have yet to find one that I like.  Well, the trend continues.  The pumpkin pie flavors were there, although subtle, but the beer lacked body, was on the watery side.  Next time, I'll stick with the Farmer John's.

I had a glass of Heartland's Pumpkin last fall, and I found it too spiced and also quite thin. But let's stick with FEST beers on this thread. Pumpkin beers are an entirely different (and potentially delicious) animal.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

But let's stick with FEST beers on this thread.  Pumpkin beers are an entirely different (and potentially delicious) animal.

and they have their own current thread, which I missed (blaming it on lack of sleep from the night out in NYC).

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

An odd thing about Oktoberfest in Munich - when I went back in 2000, the beer you get in the tents actually isn't the Oktoberfest you get over here in bottles. I hit just about all the tents over a couple days and it seemed to me that they were selling their regular lagers rather than what we see here in the US marketed as Oktoberfest beer. The lone exception was the Hofbrau tent, but their bottled Oktoberfest beer seems to be lighter in color and flavor than we normally see.

Has anyone else been there and run into this phenomenon?

Last night's tasting of Flying Fish Oktoberfish and Lowenbrau Oktoberfestbier on our weekly beer chat onStarchat. net with some fellow inbibers, went as follows:

So what time did you start??? I waited until a bit past midnite (your time) and nada... I even got banned from starchat for 3 hours (easily circumvented, though) for my rude postings to myself. I assured the starchat police that the beer group wouldn't be offended but they had no sense of humor.

So when are we on for this week???

---Guy

So what time did you start??? I waited until a bit past midnite (your time) and nada... I even got banned from starchat for 3 hours (easily circumvented, though) for my rude postings to myself. I assured the starchat police that the beer group wouldn't be offended but they had no sense of humor.

So when are we on for this week???

---Guy

GUy,we are ALWAYS on every Friday on Starchat.net.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

So far this year I've had both the Paulaner and the Spaten. I've always prefered the Paulaner and this year has been no exception, it's definitely the maltier of the two, and definitely not the monster that it used to be (I'm still not sure if I changed or they did). The Spaten has more of a hop presence up front and that, combined with the green bottles, made for a bit of skunkiness at first impression. But a nice bready malty quality made an appearance on the second bottle. If you buy closed cases then you probably can't go wrong with either one.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

• 5 weeks later...