• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines with friends

Florida Jim

Aperitif:

2003 Copain, Viognier Catie’s Corner:

Not really enjoyable.

Smelled and tasted like rousanne, carried at least 14% alcohol, missed any of the aromatics that Viognier can have and generally disappointed. If you’ve got it, sell it.

With toasted olive bread, white bean, basil and tomato topping and condiments that included roasted peppers, olives and fresh buffalo mozzarella:

1997 J. Moreau & Fils, Chablis Valmur:

Excellent on the nose with complex aromas of acacia, honey, mineral, ripe citrus and hints of earth; intense on the palate with flavors that echo the nose, good depth and concentration, excellent balance and complexity; medium length, slightly washed-out finish.

It may be slightly closed or it may be coming to the end of its shelf life. In my experience, this and the Clos are always the best wines from this house. Delicious with the food.

With roast pork tenderloin, fresh sautéed corn with red onions and a mache salad:

2002 Bouchard, Chassagne-Montrachet (rouge):

Distinctively Chassagne and despite being a sound example thereof, not a wine I will revisit. There is something about the pinots from Chassagne; they are hard and there is a distinctive profile to them that, although I can not adequately describe, does not appeal to me. Not a bad wine but not one that hits my personal pleasure centers.

1999 Chevillon, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Saint-Georges:

Everyone at the table, except me, thought this wine was sound; I thought it ever so slightly corked. Youthful, simple and non-descript aromatics, something slightly amiss on the simple palate and a sort of dullness that never was fully identifiable but touched everything. Others enjoyed it and I say more power to them. Not a showing I thought worthy of the house, vintage or appellation.

With Epoisses and pecan crackers:

1999 Gilles Robin, Crozes-Hermitage Cuvee Alberic Bouvet:

Kicks ass. (The rest you’ve heard before.)

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com