• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Woodlands, Summerville, SC

Marcuscat

This is my first post here but I have been enjoying the forum. After this past weekend’s stay at the Woodlands I felt I needed to share our experiences.

The Woodlands is one of only three 10 star establishments in the country. I wanted to take the trip with my wife for our anniversary to somewhere special and since this jewel is only three hours away it was an easy pick. Am I ever glad I did! The house only has 19 rooms and each one is different. The service was as good as it gets. We usually stay at Ritz Carlton’s or Four Seasons when we get the chance and this place equaled their best. BUT, I feel the crown jewel was the dinning room. The food was a step above anything we have ever had and not just dinner but breakfast and lunch.

If I lived near Charleston I would go broke eating there every week. Special note goes to Stephan the sommelier, he was outstanding.

Marcuscat, first welcome to the boards and for making contribution.

10 Stars, what organization gives that many stars? I know Mobil gives 5 to their top ratings.

Sounds like I will have to put the Woodlands on my must do list.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

10 Stars, what organization gives that many stars? I know Mobil gives 5 to their top ratings.

From the web site:

Woodlands Resort & Inn is in a class of its own - one of only 3 resorts in the country recognized with both the Mobil Five-Star and AAA Five Diamond Awards for excellence.

It was confusing to me to read that it had 10 stars. Most places just stop at 5 and AAA is diamonds. My mistake.

My experience in this is when I worked at the Windsor Court in New Orleans, we had both from both organizations but did not combine them. I think that is where my confusion came from.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Actually, I did not mean to put together the Mobil stars and AAA diamonds. Several weeks ago we were in Atlanta at the Four Seasons. We met the Chef at the Park 75. He had worked at The Woodlands before going to Atlanta and he mentioned that the woodlands had achieved 10 stars. This is the first time I had herd it and it stuck in my mind.

Sorry for the confusion.

My intention on posting really wasn’t on the accolades that this place has received, but how much the food and service there impressed my wife and me. We spent a week at the Ritz in Amelia Island in June and dinned several nights at The Grill, which is rated 5 diamonds and, except for their Sunday Brunch, was not that impressed.

I was fortunate to eat at the Woodlands a little over a year ago, and it was hands down, the best meal I ate in South Carolina. And I lived in Charleston for 4 years. When I dined there, Chef Ken Vedrinski, was in charge. He has since moved on to open his own restaurant on Daniel Island, just outside Charleston.

Special note goes to Stephan the sommelier, he was outstanding

I couldn't agree with you more. My fiance' and I were having a tasting menu, and due to their limited wines by the glass, there was not a wine pairing offered with the menu. But, Stephan was very accomodating, and ended up being a great learning experience. For one dish, I remeber we had 3 different wines, 2 of which came out before the dish and one after. He did not tell us what any of the wines were, until after we finished the course. His reasoning for this, just to find out which one we enjoyed more, and by the way they all worked wonderfully. These are some pics from when I ate there. Sorry in advace about the quailty of the photos.

1. Cauliflower and ramp soup w/ salmon ravioli

i12254.jpg

2. Clockwise from top left Venison carpaccio, Tuna tartare, roasted quail, and asian dumpling w/vanilla vermouth sauce.

i12261.jpg

3. Grilled Sea Bass with Tangerine emulsion

i12262.jpg

4. Roasted Salmon w/Soy and Balsamic (and a whole lotta wine)

i12263.jpg

5. Fried Softshell Crab ( you can't really see it)

i12264.jpg

6. Foie Gras with pecans

i12259.jpg

7. Kobe Beef tenderloin, truffle potato puree, pearl onions, and mushrooms.

i12260.jpg

8. Dessert Bouche- ginger vanilla panna cotta

9. Can't even remember except there was chocolate involved. Lots of wine by this time, and I forgot to take pictures.

Edited by greenoilcook (log)