• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fukushima prefecture

torakris

Fukushima is the farthest north I have been in Japan and it is the only prefecture outside of Tokyo where my husband has relatives yet I can't name one dish from this area..... :shock:

anyone?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 8 months later...

Kitakata Ramen from Kitakata Shi

Apparently, the water in the region is quite good which allows for good wheat, soy sauce and sake which is then used in the "kitakata ramen"

mmm mmm good :raz:

I miss the Japanese ramen. There are ramen shops where I live but its just not the same as the ones I had as a kid. :sad:

IMG_0268.JPG

I have never heard of Kitakata ramen before (though I also admit to not being much of a ramen eater) I wonder how popular it is outside of the area?

guess I need to pay more attention.... :biggrin:

The last time I was in a ramen shop my oldest wasn't even 1 yet, she is 9 now....

• 1 year later...

The kids left the tv on this morning when they left for school and I found myself watching one of those morning shows. Today they had two "talents" traveling to the town of Oochijuku in Fukushima prefecture and I was intrigued by a soba they were eating. The soba called Takato soba is a specialty (meibutsu) of the town. While it doesn't look too much different from regular soba topped with grated daikon and katsuo bushi, it is eaten with a negi (Japanese scallion) instead of chopsticks.