• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Littérature gourmande

helenas

I checked amazon.fr under the subject of "Littérature gourmande", but it's too overwhelming. I'm looking for something along the lines of "Kitchen Confidential", but i'm open for suggestions. Even better, if a book is translated into English. I've read in parallel english and french versions of Kundera's "Immortality". It was such a pleasure.

My guess is that daily life in a French kitchen is different from what Bourdain has experienced, although I have not actually read the book. I also have the impression that Bourdain's book does not describe life in a top haute cuisine NY kitchen either. Sometime ago, I enjoyed Burgundy Stars by William Echikson (Little, Brown). It's about Bernard Loiseau and life in his kitchen at La Cote d'Or in Saulieu. The author timely chose to folow Loiseau around the year before he got his third star. It was written and published in English.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thanks Robert,

In my case, the language is a key, subject is secondary.

I'm looking for something written in french, the reason being brushing up the language. I like reading books about chefs, but i could be food history book ( if not too dry), or something Mayle-like, or even food-related roman policier ( btw, Bourdain wrote couple of those, alas in english)

How about periodicals? I'm thinking along the lines of GaultMillau. True it's full of recipes and restaurant reviews, but there are ussually interesting articles. Then again, there must be a wealth of web sites in French that can be browsed at no cost.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.