• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zha Jiang Mian 炸酱面

liuzhou

This is the one I use. Some recipes seem to have either all hoisin or all brown bean, and some have a combo. This is a combination of several recipes that I've come across. Not sweet, not salty, -----just right to my taste.

ZHA JIANG MIAN ---------BEIJING NOODLES WITH MEAT SAUCE

Ingredients:

1 pound fresh noodles Optional vegetable garnish:

2 Tbsp. oil Blanched bean sprouts

1 Tbsp. minced garlic Julienned cucumber

1 pound ground pork

2 Tbsp. sherry

4 whole scallions, chopped

Seasoning sauce:

¼ cup brown bean sauce

¼ cup hoisin sauce

¼ tsp. chili paste with garlic

(Optional seasoning sauce:

1/2 cup brown bean sauce

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper)

Sauce:

1 cup chicken broth

1 tsp. cornstarch

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. sesame oil

(Optional vegetable garnish

blanched bean sprouts

julienne cucumber)

Preparation:

----Boil the noodles until just tender – about 4 minutes.

----Drain. Mix with a little oil and keep warm.

----Mince the garlic and have ready.

----Pour sherry in a small cup and have ready.

----Chop scallions and have ready.

----Combine seasoning sauce in a cup.

----Combine sauce in a cup.

Cooking:

Heat a wok. Add oil and heat.

Add garlic and stir till aromatic. Don’t burn

Add pork and break up while browning until all pink is gone and pork is somewhat dry.

Add sherry and mix in.

Add scallions and mix again.

Add the seasoning sauce mix and stir well.

Stir the sauce to loosen the cornstarch and add to the wok.

Stir until all is smooth, thick, and bubbly.

Place warmed noodles on a serving platter, pour sauce over and serve.

Optional vegetable garnish may be placed on top.

Edited by jo-mel (log)

ZHA JIANG MIAN  ---------BEIJING NOODLES WITH MEAT SAUCE

Dejah: Zha Jiang Mian in Cantonese is Jah Cheung Meen.

Jo-mel: I have a different process:

First brown the pork (should marinate it a bit) with a little bit of oil, remove from pan. Then heat the wok with a bit of oil, add garlic, cook for a few seconds, add the chili bean paste, brown bean paste and hoisin sauce and "cook" the sauce for a few seconds until high heat, then dash in the sherry. Add chicken broth and sugar until boil. Add corn starch slurry to thicken sauce. Then lastly re-add the meat and cook for a few more seconds before pouring over the noodles. Sesame oil is to be dripped on top at last.

The difference is all in the process...

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

You can show 炸酱面 to Chinese food market staffs, they would have at least 3-4 different brand of instant sauce. They are pretty tasty. If you want make it "fresher," you could put heavier Scallion and Garlic. The mince pork brings tremendous flavors, maybe a little bit more fresh chili.

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Ms. jo-mel,

I really don't know. I think it just came out from my brain.

Like Za Jiang Mian, it is a casual food or instant food in China. The best time to enjoy it is when you are hugry and have to finish eating in a very short time.

I like it, for I ate a lot when I was a student. Noodle contains higher calories than rice, and it saves my time, so I can play longer...

I haven't had it for long time. After you guys mentioned it, I have a great feeling. Za Jiang Mian gave me the best memories of my student life in China.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Mr. Soup:

Check this web site: http://guyarts.com/china46/

Mr. MarkK took those pictures, and who is also a very active eGullet member. When I worked in China46, NJ, I met Jason, Fat Guy, and Ms. jo-mel so on there very often. It was really pleasure to know all of them. I am one in the pictures with Cecil, Connie and all employees. Can you guess which one is me? Ha.. Ha. :biggrin:

In China46's Sunday brunch, we have served Za Jiang Mian once. It tasted pretty good. The procedure of cooking it was not complex, for it is still a family dish. The most important is the atmosphere to eat it. China46 is a place with warmly family style restaurant. Like we think grandma’s recipe is better than any professional chef’s for most of family dishes, and we rather eat those “Family Dishes with the Warmest Feelings” in our home than in any fancy restaurant.

Am I right?

Edited by Qing (log)

Let's enjoy life, now!

OK, another hint: the age!

How do you think of my age?

Don't say all Orients are always young!

(I would be really glad, if that is true.) :raz:

Let's enjoy life, now!

The food certainly looks tasty, and I'm sure I can pick you out of the lineup.

With prices that high, though, I would think China 46 could afford to have someone make a more attractive menu board!

My wife has a niece named Qing Qing, by the way (actually Xiao Qing, after the actress).

The food certainly looks tasty, and I'm sure I can pick you out of the lineup.

With prices that high, though, I would think China 46 could afford to have someone make a more attractive menu board!

My wife has a niece named Qing Qing, by the way (actually Xiao Qing, after the actress).

Opps, I thought you were a female Qing from the name. Then Jo-mel kicked me under the table and I looked at your post again and realized that there was a Connie to be accounted for in the picture....

It really hard for me to pick a good Chinese restaurant. Since I worked with many great Chinese Chefs, I became very picky for Chinese food.

I went to the "Avenue A" at the Village at midnight. It is a Japanese rest, and it always stuffed by young people or even teenagers. The music was loud, and the service was extremely "fast". There were 6 of us, and when each of us picked one piece of Geoza, the plate has been disapeared. The severs dressed casually in full black, and they bring the food with the young heart beating. Whatever they served me, I felt good. Because I enjoyed the feelings, not only the food.

I went to Kim Kong Sam, a Korean place at 32 street in Mahattan. They open 24 hours, and they have Za Jiang Mian also.

The Korean recipe is also worth to try.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Mr. Soup,

Qing is common Unisex name in China. It means Dark Blue or Young. It either a cool color or the best age, so people like to pick it.

In fact, another waiter in China46 is also named Qing. I am the youngest, and they call me "Qing Jr." sometimes to distinguish with the "Qing Sr."

By the way, are you in China or US now?

If you in NY, NJ area, how come I have never seen you in China46?

It is late now, I have to go, and we talk and later.

Let's enjoy life, now!

By the way, are you in China or US now?

If you in NY, NJ area, how come I have never seen you in China46?

It is late now, I have to go, and we talk and later.

I am in San Francisco. I was in NY two weeks ago for two days visiting my daughter, and didn't get a chance to go to China 46. I get to China every year or two. I'll probably go in October for a couple of weeks. After I retire I will spend a lot of time in China (we own a comfortable apartment in Shanghai).

Opps, I thought you were a female Qing from the name. Then Jo-mel kicked me under the table and I looked at your post again and realized that there was a Connie to be accounted for in the picture....

OOPS! Sorry 'bout that, Gary! It really wasn't intentional --- but it did work! LOL!

Qing -- not Xiao 小 Qing or Lao 老 Qing?

What kind of noodles should be used for zha jiang mian? Can I substitue with thin spaghetti?

You may substitute it with anything you want. Just don't call it Zha Jian Mian! :wink: [it's a joke... see "authenticity" thread.]

What kind of noodles should be used for zha jiang mian?  Can I substitue with thin spaghetti?

You may substitute it with anything you want. Just don't call it Zha Jian Mian! :wink: [it's a joke... see "authenticity" thread.]

:raz: Let's say I want to be authentic. Is the type of noodle I should use readily available from Asian grocery stores?

Let's say I want to be authentic. Is the type of noodle I should use readily available from Asian grocery stores?

Yes they certainly are. If the Asian grocer carries the fresh ones, they can be found in the refrigerator. Look for the wheat noodles that are powder-white in (usually) clear plastic bags. There may be thin ones (shape like angel-hair) and thick ones (shape like linguini). Both are okay.

If you can't find fresh ones, they can be bought in dried form. (Just like pasta) They usually are sold in paper boxes.

OK - we have a choice of thick/thin/fresh/dry -------but ----- which IS authentic?? (couldn't help myself!)

Authentic is like The old 'meatloaf syndrome' -- my meatloaf and your meatloaf may be different, but they are both meatloaf.

OK - we have a choice of thick/thin/fresh/dry -------but ----- which IS authentic?? (couldn't help myself!)

They are *all* authentic. Most noodle houses in Hong Kong and elsewhere offer the choice of thin (default) or thick noodles. I usually like mine thick. The fresh noodles are the best. If not available, the dry ones would be okay.

My favorite noodle dishes are (in order of preference):

Nanjing Niu Rou Mian (Nanjing beef noodle)

Cantonese wonton noodle

Cantonese beef brisket noodle

Vietnamnese Pho Tai

Malaysian curry mei (laksa?)

Zha Jian Mien