• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Han Bat

Pan

I'm shocked that there doesn't seem to already be a thread about this place. I was there for dinner again tonight, with a friend who's a regular. It was probably somewhere around my 8th or 9th time there, I guess. I had some terrific Gobdol Bibimbap and my friend got a delicious soup that had Sun Dae and some thin-sliced meat (beef?) and vegetables, plus some fragrant white seeds we couldn't identify (a particularly aromatic variety of sesame?). That soup was the best thing I've tasted at Han Bat so far, a complex and truly Woo Chon-worthy dish. Also provided, as always, was a generous panchan of mostly pretty assertive side dishes which we enjoyed.

The cost? $19.45 plus tip for the two of us!

I find that in terms of atmosphere, Han Bat feels like an excellent Korean diner, and the prices also reflect that, but the quality of the food is really excellent, making it arguably one of the best values in Manhattan.

I know that some of you are big fans of Han Bat (Hi, scamhi :biggrin:. And thanks for being the one to introduce the place to me). Any detractors? Please speak up, pro or/and con.

Michael aka "Pan"

Geez Louise, 87 views and no replies! I hope some of you have something to say about this thread while I'm gone (I'll be in China, including a province bordering on North Korea, for the next 2 weeks). :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

My friends and I go to Han Bat somewhat regularly. The food is good and inexpensive. When I do go, I usually put myself in the hands of my Korean friends and pay no attention to what is ordered and just eat. Unfortunately, that means that if I go back myself, I wouldn't know what to order except Bibimbab .

I go there every so often as well. I am partial to their gobdol bibimbap, and i also like their rice cake soup (i forget the actual name of the soup) that also has beef and beef dumplings. i seem to get cravings for it every so often, although most people i go with do not have any interest in rice cake soup! :raz:

Where is it?

Han Bat is on the north side of 35th Street between 5th and 6th (closer to sixth). It is right by the 34th street subway station (B,D,F,V,N,R) at Herald Square (Northeast exit) and the Metro Hotel. Han Bat is open 24/7. It is not a BBQ so don't expect Kalbi (although they do serve Kalbi Tang which is a soup version). They have great Gobdol BIBIMBAP as well as a great rice-noodle sausage (the sausage is made with noodles that are made with rice) soup called Soon Dae Gook. The Soon Dae Gook is not listed on all the menus (some menus have been changed) but they will serve it to you if you ask. Also recommended is the Soondohboojigae, a spicy seafood and tofu stew. I prefer Sul Ran Tang at Gam Me Ok (located on 32nd Street between 5th and Braodway near Kum Gang San--which incidenltally has excellent Yook Gae Jang--and is across the street from Kang Suh the BBQ place where they burn wood blocks).

Han Bat does serve Bul Go Gi (a sweet thinly sliced BBQ beef), but I think it must be cooked in a pan instead of on a BBQ. It is not served with lettuce leaves, as it is at Kum Gang Sun and Kang Suh.

Also recommended is the Haemul Pachun, a Korean version of scallion pancake but with seafood. At Han Bat the Haemul Pachun is served as one large pancake that is cut into portions.

There are so many great things to eat at Han Bat I would recommend it as a place to go with a group. If a group does go there, I would highly recommend getting the Haemul Jigae which is sort of a grand Korean bouillabaisse.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

and i also like their rice cake soup (i forget the actual name of the soup) that also has beef and beef dumplings. i seem to get cravings for it every so often, although most people i go with do not have any interest in rice cake soup! :raz:

Rice Cake soup is called Mandoo Gook.

Also recommended is the Haemul Pachun, a Korean version of scallion pancake but with seafood. At Han Bat the Haemul Pachun is served as one large pancake that is cut into portions.

That's what it's called! I love this stuff!

• 11 months later...

I had a latish lunch at Han Bat today with an old friend of mine from grad school and her 22-month-old daughter. I thought it was worth mentioning because the waitresses really doted on the little girl. My friend from grad school liked the food very much -- as did the toddler! I was impressed that little Mia -- not a Korean at all -- enjoyed her kimchi! She also enjoyed the seaweed banchan and had a lot of fun with the seafood pajun, which really are nice -- savory pancakes with dough that's slightly sweet from caramelization. (Maybe there's a touch of sugar in it, but I think it's mainly the way the pajun are cooked that causes the caramelly sweetness of the crust.) It was funny that Mia decided when she was finished eating that it was time to go, and ran to open the doors so as to walk outside by herself. Of course, her mother put an end to that quickly. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

My friend and I kept away from soups that day. I could see why people might eat spicy soups in the summer, because they make you sweat from the head and cool you off, but I tend to find the soupy stews very hearty and perhaps more suitable for winter.

After we shared the seafood pajun, my friend had Jap Chae (her little daughter loved the noodles in it) and I had Ojinguh Bokum.

(Descriptions of the dishes from the menu on menupages.com, with a couple of typos corrected:

Jap Chae: A mixed Dish of Vegetables, Special Noodles, Mushroom, Sliced Pork

Ojinguh Bokum: Sauteed Squid with Vegetables In Spicy Sauce)

Michael aka "Pan"

I would recommend a great soup called Gam Ja Tang or Pork Back spicy soup. I was told by a Korean friend that hot and spicy soups are frequently eaten in the summer.

Gam Ja Tang is also one of my favorite soups! You should check out Chung Moo Ro BBQ Restaurant (10 West 32) they have it on their lunch special menu for $7.50. Unfortunately they only serve it for lunch but it can also be had across the street at Kun Jip Restaurant (9 West 32nd Street) at all hours. I've gone there at 4am in the past to satisfy a Gam Ja Tang craving. The last time I went I think they had taken it off the menu but they still served it when I asked for it by name.

Technically Gam Ja Tang means potato (gam-ja) soup (tang), in NYC it generally served with a lot of broth but elsewhere (LA or Korea) it is usually an overflowing bowl of pork back bones and potatoes with the soup just filling in the spaces between.