• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

peaches

Ida

This is my first post so I'll start by saying "Hello" to all. One could get quite lost in this site with all the interesting topics. Now for my question: On the way home from a short trip, we stopped in Romney, WV and got fresh peaches. The same place my daddy got them every year since before my time. I want to make a few different drinks with them but haven't been able to find much that sounds particularly good to me, although Jaymes posted a Peach Sangria that looked good. We had a few poeple for dinner and for dessert I made peach drinks with vanilla ice cream, peaches, peach schnapps, and raspberry vodka. Sounds sweet I know, but remember, it was dessert. I haven't seen cocktails using ice cream here in eGullet. Makes me wonder if I'm the only one here who enjoys such drinks. Yes, I like cocktails that are on the sweet side, but not too sweet. Does anyone have a cocktail recipe using peaches I could try? I guess I should tell a little about my taste...I don't like tequila and I don't like dry wines. I like drinks like the fuzzy navel but when I make them myself I water the orange juice down just a little so it doesn't turn out so sweet and sticky. Thanks so much :smile: Ida

Cocktail times

Ida, first, welcome to egullet. This place is amazing.

The link above is for making a fresh fruit infused vodka with which you can make other libations. Hope it helps give you some ideas.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

The famous Bellini was invented at Harry's Bar, Venice, in 1934.

2 ripe peaches, peeled, halved and stone removed, or the equivalent using canned peaches in natural juice

chilled champagne or sparkling wine

2 chilled champagne glasses

Place the peaches in a small blender ... purée til totally smooth. .... can be done well in advance .. store in the refrigerator .... spoon half into the chilled champagne glasses... slowly top up with champagne, stirring as you pour.

Ideally, you should have one third peach purée to two thirds champagne :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Not strictly true. The Bellini should "really" be made using the purée of white peaches, and Prosecco (not Champagne).

I'm not claiming that this necessarily makes for a better drink than the many Bellini variants, but it is certainly how a Bellini is made in Harry's.

irony doesn't mean "kinda like iron".

Thanks for the welcome and the info. The Bellini sounds quite good. My peaches are yellow. I'm not all that fond of white peaches but I suppose white peach puree would be good in a drink, as long as I wasn't expecting the yummy yellow peach falvor.

Infusing vodka was mentioned. I've never had flavored vodka until very recently. I got Absolut Raspberry vodka. I was not impressed. I know the stuff infused at home would be a completely different drink altogether. I guess it's like food, nothing can touch homemade. I am sure I would like raspberry infused vodka if I made it myself and I might just do that. I have been reading so much on this site about infusing and the possibilities are endless, but I won't be using Absolut. :sad:

Thanks again,

Ida

Ida, here is a link for fresh peach daquaries at www.drinksmixer.com. Just do a search on their site, they have several fresh peach beverage recipes.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!