• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 wines

Florida Jim

2000 Copain, Pinot Noir Dennison Vnyd.:

Cranberry and light underbrush on the nose and as it opens the fruit becomes more diffuse but no less vigorous; crisp and clean across the palate with flavors that echo the nose, excellent intensity, concentrated, slightly closed, bright and fresh, good balance; excellent persistence.

This wine cuts its own path; I want to say it trends toward the Chambolle profile; no, no, it’s more halfway between CA and OR; well, the truth is, it has its own signature. Good depth and distinct character coupled with balance – the recipe for a fine wine but it needs several years in the cellar.

I can’t think of another CA pinot noir that has this kind of promise.

2000 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos de Allees:

This may last as well as many of the wines from this house, but I will drink mine soon. Aromatically open with sea shell, lime skin, rain water and mineral scents; nicely open and appealing on the palate with flavors that follow the nose, has lost just the slightest bit of intensity, still beautifully structured (almost expressively so) and good length.

One of those wines I am glad I am coming to the last of; not because I have not enjoyed it but because I feel its best time is now. Delicious.

2002 Coudert, Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie Cuvee Tardive:

Powerfully scented, almost brooding with black fruit, mineral, chalk and an impression of cold metal (I’m not sure how else to describe it); the same on the palate with intensity, concentration, structure and a texture that reminds me of very fine sandpaper; great length.

It may not be what one expects from Fleurie, but this is terrific wine. Forget preconceptions, this has a vinous character that seems to act as a medium for delivery of a rich and powerful mouth-feel and strong flavors. Will last a long time and develop over time but tastes great now.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com