• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinastia Vivanco wine museum

magnolia

I'd love some 'vox pop' on the Dinastia Vivanco (www.dinastiavivanco.es) wine museum in Rioja. Is "Briones" central? Are there other things to see/do, and places to eat in the immediate vicinity ?

I'm told the most logical airport (if arriving from the UK) is Bilbao. As renting a car is not an option for me, what are my other options for getting from a to b?

Any/all suggestions most welcome. Thanks !

I know you've mentioned this post in the Spain forum and I've added a clickable link, but for logistical information about getting around in Spain, it's probably better to ask directly in that forum. We've been in La Rioja a couple of times, staying a day or two for the food, or for sightseeing, but I don't know the area well. We had a car both times and I wonder how easy it might be to get around by public transportation, or if there's any public transportation. There must be some buses, but I'm not going to guess it's going to be easy to get around without a car. Then again, although I don't own a car in New York, I usually have one at my disposal whenever I'm not in a large city in Europe. The only thing worse for us than not having a car in rural Spain is having one in a large city.

Logroño is no competition for San Sebastian in terms of tapas, but it does have a lively bunch of tapas bars in its old section. I can say I'd make the trip, especially without a car, just for that. The best meal we've had in the area was at Echaurren in Ezcaray. I wouldn't expect to get there without a car, though I think I saw a bus stop at the edge of town.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thanks for this - and also to VCerna for his insight as well !

I am going next week, happily I've sorted out my transport issues. I'm spending an afternoon in Bilbao to see the Gugg., then driving to Briones, staying overnight and touring the museum Friday, back to Londres Friday afternoon (sadly). Anyone in the area feel free to PM me, maybe we can figure out a way to get together.

Renting a car seems to have become an option. I'm not all that surprised. We've run into this before on the Spain forum in other areas. Local travel by public tranportation doesn't seem easy to arrange. Is that what you found?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Renting a car seems to have become an option. I'm not all that surprised. We've run into this before on the Spain forum in other areas. Local travel by public tranportation doesn't seem easy to arrange. Is that what you found?

I found someone to drive me. That's the best option of all, :smile: : especially since I don't have a driver's licence.