• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nobu 57

Jason Perlow

The New York Times reports of a new Midtown location to open soon, Nobu 57. The extent of Myriad Restaurant Group's and Nieporent's involvement has not yet been disclosed.

Nobu 57

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 year later...

I was wondering when a review would appear.

Well, wonder no longer.

Much about the original Nobu had a frayed, complacent quality. There were epic waits for dishes and sloppy applications of dressings.....Nobu 57 could also benefit from better phone etiquette. I was frequently put on hold while someone searched for the reservation book, the right computer file, Jimmy Hoffa - who knew?
The rock shrimp in that famous, creamy tempura dish had been cooked beautifully, each bite yielding a tiny explosion of flavor and moisture.
Nobu 57 has several new desserts, including a lovely one that mingles a purée of white peaches with cold jasmine tea, peanut crumble and beer ice cream.

Nobu 57 (Frank Bruni) (from the NYTimes DIGEST update for 28 September 2005. Scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Discussion regarding Nobu can be found here.

Related discussion regarding Mr. Bruni's style of reviewing and the New York Times star system can be found here.

Soba