• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tour de France

wtbell

The Tour de France begins this weekend and one of the things that I've looked for on the Internet but have not found is a guide to the wines one might encounter during the various stages.

While I could not possible race with Lance Armstrong and others, I might be able to drink what they may be served at the end of a given stage.

Has anyone come across information on the wines grown along the way of the various stages of this race?

Ward Bell

Obsidian Communications

Today is "Prologue" (6 km time trial) in Liège, Belgium, so we are rather in for a beer. Afterwards, the Tour stays in the northwestern part of France, so there are still no regional wine bottles to uncork.

You'll have to wait until mid-week when the Tour crosses the valley of the Loire. But what a range of different, great wines and a spectrum to choose from you will find there.

Next weekend, the stages reach the Normandie and the Bretagne, therefore this will be rather a weekend for cidre than wine.

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

I know that one of the arrival towns (and site of a rest day) is Nimes. So certainly a Costieres de Nimes wine is in order when the TDF arrives there.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

The most promising "AOC wine" stages of Le Tour 2004:

9/7, stage 6, Bonnevals - Angers; Loire Valley AOCs, notably Savennières, Coulée de Serrant, Roche aux Moines, Quarts de Chaume, Coteaux de Layon, Anjou.

15/7, stage 11, Saint-Flour - Figeac; Cahors AOC.

16/7, stage 12, Castelsarrasin - La Mongie (the first ascension arrival); Côtes de Gascogne AOC

18/7, stage 14, Carcassonne - Nîmes; Languedoc AOCs, notably Minervois, St.-Chinian, Coteaux du Languedoc, Costières de Nîmes as mentioned by Brad

20/7, stage 15, Valréas - Villard-de-Lans; Southern Rhône AOCs, notably Côtes du Rhône (and -Villages), Côtes du Tricastin, Clairette de Die

21/1, stage 16, Bourg d' Oisans-L'Alpe d'Huez (time trial); Savoie AOC

24/7, stage 19, Besançon - Besançon (decisive time trial); Jura AOCs. A "Jura Vin Jaune" could be the obviuos choice here.

25/7, stage 20, Montereau - Paris (Champs-Elysées); Le Tour scratches the Champagne AOC. It's the final stage, so if your favourite is riding in yelllow today, it's not unapporpriate to uncork a bottle of Champaign. If the winner sets the record of a sixth win, maybe even something like a Grandes Années

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

The most promising "AOC wine" stages of Le Tour 2004:

Exellent precís, Boris! I'm glad others are looking forward to the TdF as much as I am. And wine drinking is very much a part of the experience: I get together with my cycling chums most evenings (but not until the second week when the phony war is over) to watch the highlights (definitely Ligget not Duffield) over a bottle of wine or two or three. I will definitely bear your suggestions in mind as it will add that certain je ne sais quoi.

MP