• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

poached pears

sabg

i want to make poached pears for a party tomorrow evening and my pears ar not ripe. i was poaching them in port. can i poach them without being really ripe or will it just be a waste? thanks

Actually when I poach my pears in a sangria-like liquid, I prefer that they not be ripe .. softer pears will disintegrate too quickly in the heat. Just peel them and go for it! :biggrin: Do you add lemon and/or orange zest strips to your poaching liquid with the port? or even a cinnamon stick? yummy!

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Actually when I poach my pears in a sangria-like liquid, I prefer that they not be ripe .. softer pears will disintegrate too quickly in the heat. Just peel them and go for it! :biggrin: Do you add lemon and/or orange zest strips to your poaching liquid with the port? or even a cinnamon stick? yummy!

this is 1st time try with new recipe..tawny port sugar and lemon. marscapone whipped topping. its for a group of 25. i was going to poache them then cut in half and add the whipped topping with some fresh mint. i would love any other ideas

It also depends on the type of pear you are using. Bosc pears hold up nicely when poached ripe.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

My favorite is Marcella Hazan's recipe for pears braised in red wine and bay leaves (and lots of butter). With ripe bosc pears. When they're ripe, you need less sugar, so the wine and bay leaf sauce contrasts more with the sweet pear. Also, since the pears are softer, you can eat it with just a spoon without having to cook it forever.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... :biggrin: