• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Severino's in Westmont

rockhopper

There is a fresh pasta place in Westmont (Haddon Township, 8 miles east of Philly) named Severino's on Haddon Ave. I always buy ravioli there and it's excellent. (They make a lot of different pasta)

The other day I was hungry while ordering and was looking at their cold cuts while the lady was boxing up my ravioli. I asked for an Italian Hoagie. She looked at me a bit funny but was nice and said "We don't make Hoagies but if you're hungry I'll you a nice sandwich". Sure! I didn't say what I wanted but a "nice sandwich" from an Italian lady who makes great ravioli sounded like a good idea. It was proscuitto with fresh mozzarella and fresh basil leaves dressed with a bit of olive oil. It was indeed a "nice sandwich" - actually a great one!

What stuck me was that she didn't make me feel dumb because I didn't know they didn't make hoagies. (I've always just bought pasta there). It is all too common that the counter people are a bit jerky. For example at a deli in Haddonfield (next town over) I ordered a hoagie and asked "would you mind cutting it in half"? the response was not "Sure! no problem" but "We always do" in a nasty tone as if I were some ignorant jerk. What do you think the chances are of me returning to that one?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

There is a fresh pasta place in Westmont (Haddon Township, 8 miles east of Philly) named Severino's on Haddon Ave. I always buy ravioli there and it's excellent. (They make a lot of different pasta)

The other day I was hungry while ordering and was looking at their cold cuts while the lady was boxing up my ravioli. I asked for an Italian Hoagie. She looked at me a bit funny but was nice and said "We don't make Hoagies but if you're hungry I'll you a nice sandwich". Sure! I didn't say what I wanted but a "nice sandwich" from an Italian lady who makes great ravioli sounded like a good idea. It was proscuitto with fresh mozzarella and fresh basil leaves dressed with a bit of olive oil. It was indeed a "nice sandwich" - actually a great one!

What stuck me was that she didn't make me feel dumb because I didn't know they didn't make hoagies. (I've always just bought pasta there). It is all too common that the counter people are a bit jerky. For example at a deli in Haddonfield (next town over) I ordered a hoagie and asked "would you mind cutting it in half"? the response was not "Sure! no problem" but "We always do" in a nasty tone as if I were some ignorant jerk. What do you think the chances are of me returning to that one?

Rockhopper:

I *LOVE* Severino's and used to shop there frequently when I worked at Moore Brothers in Pennsauken. Very nice place with very nice help. Love the cheeses too.

Another great place right in that little shopping area is Patisserie de Manille, a lovely bakery on the little side street across from McMillan's Bakery. It's run by a lovely young Filipino woman who's name escapes me right now. She's the one that turned me onto Le Me Toujours in Marlton because she supplies their desserts to them.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Another great place right in that little shopping area is Patisserie de Manille, a lovely bakery on the little side street across from McMillan's Bakery. It's run by a lovely young Filipino woman who's name escapes me right now. She's the one that turned me onto Le Me Toujours in Marlton because she supplies their desserts to them.

I love their mango tarts.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I've always had good, if not great, service at Severino's, but nobody every made me a sandwich. That's a great story.

The last time I was at Severino's I bought a lot of cheese. The samples were flying and I bought much more than I had intended. Not that too much cheese is a bad thing.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
maybe she didn't know what you ment by hoagie... if you had said sub she might have gotten the idea... :biggrin: i'm just teasing you. people from different parts of jersey say it differently.

Since Westmont is about 30 miles south of the Joizey/Southern New Jersey border (I-195) I'm sure she knew what a hoagie was. :smile:

Actually I think a sub up north is different from a hoagie in this area. The ingredients are layered differently.

Seriously the point I was making was that she went out of her way to be nice to a customer. And I'm on the ugly side so it was really just being nice!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!