• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I-20 west

Milt

We will soon be leaving on a trip which will take us west along I-20 through Alabama and Mississippi. What "must eat" places are convenient to the interstate? We will travel in casual clothing, so fine dining is out of the question. Except for fine dining in a very relaxed atmosphere. We eat anything - barbeque, catfish, southern - what else is there in Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi?

just past B'ham in Bessemer is the Bright Star. It is a couple of miles off I-20 but well worth the detour. The Northport Diner in Northport (just o/s of Tuscaloosa) used to be very good but I have not been there in a number of years so can not vouch for the place in recent years & of course Dreamland in T'loosa although I understand it has gone down hill some since the founder passed.

Enjoy your trip.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

The Waysider in Tuscaloosa is a very dependable spot in Tuscaloosa-just take the Cottondale/Coaling exit on the east side of town and go North. You can'[t miss it. It looks just like a restaurant/bar should have looked in about 1958.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

In Jackson I would reccomend any of these:

The Elite-I believe that this is the oldest restautant in Jackson-order lemon chess pie for dessert-it is awesome. Worth the stop.

The White House-good Southern Fare

Hal and Mal's-Hal and Mal's is also a brewpub (I built it). The food is great and the atmosphere is well, interesting. THe place is housed in an old commercial freight railroad building and is run by my friend and Bon Vivant Malcolm White and his brother Hal. They have live music at night and serve great food (lunch is an especially good deal). They have good tamales (Ray's Red Hots) and make sure that you order some "Come Back" sauce to go with your meal. THis is also the place that houses the bar where Jill Connor started the Sweet Potato Queen phenomenon. It is a very cool place, tell Malcoom I said hello. But do it after you pay, he might charge you extra if you do it in advance. Kids love this place as well. It is my boys favorite restaurant in the South. I think maybe because it is so big that nobody notices ill behaved children running wild and free. There is outdoor dining in a cool courtyard off of the pub, if the weather is not too hot.

When you leave Jackson, unless you want to stop in Vicksburg for a little gaming and some buffet, I reccomend that you set the cruise control and and drive through the Delta, into the piney woods on the other side of the Ouachita River, and on to Shreveport-

If you have to stop in Monroe (my hometown, so I don't want to be overly critical here) there are a few places that I would reccomend, but not many-although these are really good and long established

The Warehouse #1-a seafood place on the Ouachita River. Interesting building (old cotton warehouse) and really good food. Great place for drinks if you end up spending the night (if that's going to be the case, let me know-I can list some entertaining things to do, believe it or not). This was also the site of my first rest. job. I waited tables and bartended there for a long summer through the opening of the place. It was like a drug. I wanted more. Opening restaurants is hard work but a hell of alot of fun.

Cascio's Seafood-Sicilian Italian Creole (yes, this is a real style-google on Mosca's and you can find a description of the cuisine style)-really good. Order Trout Tony-trust me on this one.

Enoch's is a great bar owned by an old hippie cat named Doyle Jeeter. Good pub grub and sometimes great ive music from Southern Traveling acts. I saw the Black Crowes in Enoch's a very long time ago.

Davebr is probably going to help you out with Shreveport. He lives there and owns a couple of restaurants in Shreveport. I have pm'd him for some recs.

Im assuming I-20 goes through Birmingham, AL--I just drive I dont pay attention. Which would be the reason for the never ending "getting lost" syndrome I seem to have.

My wife and I on a recent trip to Florida stopped in Birmingham. We sat at the bar at The Highlands Bar and Grill and at the Hot and Hot Fish Club. Both were awesome. Duck confit with turnip greens, chicken liver and poached farm egg salad, Shrimp and grits with ver jus, you get the point.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys