• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine with friends

Florida Jim

With a pasta dish that included wilted Swiss chard, onions, black olives, garlic, white beans and pecorino, with a side dish of sautéed Swiss chard stems with melted pecorino:

2002 Casa Brina, Ruche:

Translucent in appearance and transparent in delivery; red fruit, loam, mineral, humus, spice and heaven knows what else, all seemingly suspended on an almost gossamer structure; clean and crisp with solid backing acidity and endless complexity.

Reminiscent of Bourgogne in weight but the nose and palate are clearly Piedmont. Charming, interesting and excellent with the dish. Imported by Vini Italia.

2000 Louis Michel, Les Clos:

Sneaky wine. At first, a sort of calm, straight-forward Chablis with extraordinary balance. With air, layers of flint, distant smoke, lemon balm, fresh crushed herbs and other alluring scents and flavors arrive and the palate takes on density as the nose becomes more expansive – it’s as though its growing in the glass A wine with a coiled spine that never loses its balance yet becomes something entirely different than initial tastes indicate. Needs several, if not many, years. Imported by Vineyard Brands.

(BTW, no trees were harmed in its production.)

With fresh, wonderfully ripe strawberries and peaches with crème fraiche:

2002 Huet, Le Mont Demi-sec:

Beginning to retreat from its fruit (earlier bottles were bursting with white fruit) into its stoney, mineral elements; still the off-dry but structured palate and the fresh, somewhat floral nose are great accompaniment with the fruit. Nowhere near ready to display its wares, it is still the wine of the night. A match I will write down and use again. Imported by Robert Chadderdon.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

My only problem with drinking wine with friends is that it's usually preceded by 3 cocktails, then I end up pulling out some Grand Cru something-or-other that I ought not to be drinking when I'm already drunk.

Also, wonderful tasting notes, Jim. ;)

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

My only problem with drinking wine with friends is that it's usually preceded by 3 cocktails, then I end up pulling out some Grand Cru something-or-other that I ought not to be drinking when I'm already drunk.

Don,

I've heard others say that.

Its been at least a decade since I've had a mixed drink - that's not intentional, its just I like wine so much more.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com