• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ferry St. in Newark

LJC

Has anyone tried any of the BBQ joints on Ferry St.? I was in the area about a week ago and stopped at a place who's name I can't remember, but wow was it good. Chickens and ribs laid out on a large grill that is clamped shut and rotated over live coals. They baste with some secret mixture that has a little kick to it (just a little) and serve it with pretty good fries.

The place I went to is on a corner and at about 1pm they were packed and had a line of people waiting for take out. Does anyone know which place this is?

• 2 weeks later...

The only (or 1 of 2 or 3) authentic Portuguese restaurant in the Ironbound is A Taste of Portugal. In Portugal, they don't serve 4 pound lobsters nor 3 pound steaks. They usually serve smaller portions of flavorful dishes. Most of the stuff in the Ironbound is the faux-Iberian type with the giant portions and is really for tourists. Try Taste of Portugal. (The grilled Sardinhas are fab!!)

I think the place you describe is discussed or listed on this thread

Authentic Portuguese Restaurants in Newark

The top three recommendations I hear consistently in Ironbound (on or just off Ferry Street) are

Seabra's Marisqueria - Authentic Portuguese with a focus on seafood - have eaten here many times and love it. Quite often our waiter could speak only Portugues and we had to point to menu items to be understood (i.e. it is definitely not tourist oriented)

Brazilia - A second floor establishment a few blocks down from Iberia - said to be very authentically Brazilian in nature - not Portuguese.

Casa Vasca - More of an upscale Spanish restaurant than Portuguese but not really a tourist joint. I wasn't really thrilled with my meal for the money spent but other forum members who've been more often speak highly of it - my experience may have been a fluke or it may just be due to my taste in food.

NY forum host Jo Goode recently ate dinner with Rolling Stone restaurant reviewer Robert Sietmas at some relatively obscure Portuguese place in Ironbound. It is apparently very authentic in terms of the types of dishes etc but I can't recall the name. I'll point him to this thread and see if he can offer some info.

The only (or 1 of 2 or 3) authentic Portuguese restaurant in the Ironbound is A Taste of Portugal.  In Portugal, they don't serve 4 pound lobsters nor 3 pound steaks.  They usually serve smaller portions of flavorful dishes.  Most of the stuff in the Ironbound is the faux-Iberian type with the giant portions and is really for tourists.  Try Taste of Portugal.  (The grilled Sardinhas are fab!!)

I don't know about you, but I like a good 3lb-4lb lobster or a 2lb steak on occasion.

And beleive it or not, I've seen the Portuguese on family outings and special occasions eat these in Ironbound just as readily as the tourists.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have eaten at Seabra's Marisqueria, and Don Pepe on Mac Arthur Hwy and I too enjoy sharing a huge lobster and steak. These places are similar to the Spanish restaurants on 23rd St. or Maison Madrid in Ridgefield (I think that’s where it is). The place I am referring to was really a BBQ joint. They have a huge pit with live coals and a flat grill about 6'x3' that clamps shut and is rotated by hand. The Grill person rotates the grill and bastes the chickens and ribs, stirs the coals and sweats (a lot). There are about 10 tables and at lunch time there was a considerable line. About 30% of the crowd was speaking Spanish, an other 30% Portuguese.

I thought Marqiseria was much less Spanish and more truly Portuguese in terms of the menu, relative to the "Spanish" restaurants in NYC and north Jersey that I've been to.

Might the place you're referring to be Pulaski Grill, which specializes in grilled chicken and ribs?

They baste with some secret mixture that has a little kick to it (just a little)

That is probably Piri Piri Sauce, an afro-portuguese hot sauce that seriously rocks.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I don't know about you, but I like a good 3lb-4lb lobster or a 2lb steak on occasion.

And beleive it or not, I've seen the Portuguese on family outings and special occasions eat these in Ironbound just as readily as the tourists.

They probably do, but they would never eat it in Lisbon-- that is my point; Also, my tastes run for quality, not quantity (probably un-American) so I prefer smaller portions of well-prepared dishes.