• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gumbo Cafe

slkinsey

This just in from New York Magazine...

Gumbo Café

950 Columbus Avenue (near 107th Street)

212-222-2378

Gumbo Café’s Dexter Stewart [is] a Nawlins native but no muffaletta snob. Where others insist it can’t be done, he improvises with suitably soft focaccia from Parisi Bakery. A proper two-fisted sandwich, it’s packed with salami, smoked turkey, and melted provolone. The clincher, though, is the finely chopped olive-and-pickled-veggie dressing.

Menu also includes things like gumbo and jambalaya.

--

• 1 month later...

A month ago Eric Asimov ran an article on the Gumbo Cafe on Columbus & 107th.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/26/dining/26UNDE.html

My daughter loves rice and beans and I like cajun so we thought to hike up the 30 blocks from the Museum of Natural History. Since it is unlicensed I bought a few beers along.

No luck. The place was closed on a Thursday evening at about 7:00. anybody know what happened?

Edited by VivreManger (log)

The Stewarts are clearly learning on the job. Recently Mr. Stewart decided to close an extra day during the week and to shut down between lunch and dinner to allow for more preparation. He expects service to speed up. The restaurant might even install an air-conditioner.

Could it be that Thursday was the extra day that they were closed?