• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sargeantsville Inn

Kim WB

My husband and I went to the Sargeantville Inn last nite, Saturday, 6:30. We had a pre dinner libation at the Frenchtown Inn.( mini mini review: Frenchtown Inn is just not clean enough..the bathroom was filthy at 5pm on a Saturday, the bar was tacky and sticky, the waiter stand in view of the bar was dirty and unkempt. Someone is not watching the details here)

We arrived at the beautiful Sargeantsville Inn promptly, and were led through the intricate halls and stairs to our table. It's beautifully decorated, with all the nooks and crannies and authentic details you would expect in a 250 year old building. Unfortunately, there are hallways that you walk through that have strong musty odors..I suspect its difficult to keep the moisture out of such an aged structure, but it was still "wrinkle your nose" strong and noticeably unpleasant.

The wine list is shockingly inadequate...although also very reasonably priced. We had a 99 Paul Hobbs Cabernet. The only other above average choice, in our opinion, was the CAymus..other than that..very slim pickings indeed.

The service was friendly and professional, except for a tentative and young busboy learning the ropes..but I have a gangly teen of my own at home,so I'm sympathetic to growing young men with arms and legs that seem to work under another's command...he nearly wiped out our wine bucket a half a dozen times!

The bread was unremarkeable, with that "getting old quickly" accompaniment, olive oil. Bob started with the Carpaccio, and I, pretending that it was not 90 degrees outside, ordered wild mushroom risotto. The carpaccio was tasteless. However, it was accompanied by a chopped arugala, scallion, parlsey, capers salad that was spot on..vibrant and balanced. The risotto was undercooked, almost crunchy. Generous portions.

Sargeantsville Inn has a game focus, with pheasant, boar, ostrich, and last nights special, kangaroo. My husband ordered the kangaroo, and I, continuing to ignore the weather, had the braised lamb shanks.

It's hard to describe the kangaroo, as it was drowned in a thick, syruppy demi-glace. What is with Central NJ chefs and reductions to the point of creating syrup? Each pice needed to be mounted on the pike of purple smashed potatoes (great!) and then the sauce scraped off...it was close to inedible. And the sauce, if tasted on its own and sparingly had potential..a berry sweetness with acidity, someone was thinking flavors at some point, before the sauce became comparable to Chambourd. The lamb shanks were not braised to the falling off the bone point, but were well seasoned, flavorful, and appropriately sauced in a lighter reduction of some sort...the artichoke and potato mixture on the plate was wonderful, with the lemony artichoke playing off the buttery spuds.

We skipped dessert, had coffee, brandy and a yoo-hoo martini ( chocolate, vanilla vodka, I'm not sure what else. Sinfully good , if terribly trendy!)

While the food was not great, the unique and beautiful structure, good service, and that damn yoo-hoo martini, will get us back in the door. I'll order sauces on the side, more seasonal salads, and hope for more hits than misses.

Two apps and entrees, wine, sparkling water, 2 after dinner drinks and two coffess, $178.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

What is with Central NJ chefs and reductions to the point of creating syrup?

because sweet is easy, and people, in general, like sweet. and unfortunately it's not just chefs in central jersey thinking that. there's some thread on "dressing on the side", started by a person in the industry. perhaps chefs all think that everyone likes the same thing. in this situation, i'd be asking for the salad dressing on the side, *and* the kangaroo sauce on the side. and i'd probably be eating better for it.

Edited by tommy (log)

Yes, tommy, I think you are right..it's "easy"...and to me, a properly sauced entree is a part of why I dine out..the time consuming sauces and sides make it something I'm less likely to make at home with any regularity. But heavy reductions have to be my biggest food oriented complaint at white table cloth restaurants..it seems that at a certain price point, demi glace is going to be abused. :wacko:

Yes, tommy, I think you are right..it's "easy"...and to me, a properly sauced entree is a part of why I dine out..the time consuming sauces and sides make it something I'm less likely to make at home with any regularity. But heavy reductions have to be my biggest food oriented complaint at white table cloth restaurants..it seems that at a certain price point, demi glace is going to be abused. :wacko:

i agree 100%.

We had kangaroo right off the barbie in the outback without any sauce and it was excellent.

I have to agree with Rosie on this - there's only 2 ways to have roo. One is straight off the grill like Rosie said the other is in a red wine casserole. There's no need to cover it in a sauce or anything like that the meat speaks for it self

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

The best thing about the Sergeantsville Inn is the beautiful little village, and the historic structure that it inhabits. (Over 200 years old) This pastoral area was settled by Green Sergeants, a Revolutionary hero, back in the good old days. Also the only covered bridge in NJ is there. I know the restaurant was closed for about 4 years, and news about the new managment has been spotty, and your disappointing report adds credence to those reviews.

(I've been instructed by the locals that you pronounce "Sergeantsville" the way it's spelled, unlike the army rank of "Sergeant". )

Edited by menton1 (log)

New management? Aren't the Clyde's there anymore?

Rosie,

Yes Sandy and Joe are still there. In fact I saw Sandy and their daughter out for a stroll last evening.

I will not comment on the reviews as these fine folks and quality oriented restaurateurs are good customers of mine as well as neighbors.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover