• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Origin

Rosie

Origin, 25 Division St., Somerville (BYO) serves fantastic Thai/French food but avoid this place on a Saturday night. We had an 8:15 reservation and weren't seated until 8:45. We considered ourselves lucky, as while we were on our entrée there were still people with an 8 PM reservation waiting for a table. Service was rushed and we had to tell the waitstaff more than once to come back in five minutes. We were also asked if we were ready for our entrée while we were still eating our appetizer. The place is also noisy and crowded with tables very close together. Ask for the round table by the kitchen. With that being said, the food is innovative, the use of spices, sauces and textures memorable and the presentations lovely. Specials were printed out with the prices.

For appetizers we had a puff pastry filled with ground chicken, sweet onions and potatoes served with a cucumber relish; sautéed flat rice noodles with Asian broccoli and beef; grilled calamari with a mango salad and a tangy duck salad. Entrees were a crispy boneless duck with bean curd, green peas and pineapple in a curry sauce; Chilean sea bass with mushrooms; fried whole fish with a tamarind, chili and garlic sauce and a rack of lamb with an oval of mashed potatoes.

For dessert we shared a refreshing sweet sticky rice with fresh mango and coconut milk sauce. Some of the other choices were fried ice cream; Fuji apple spring roll; pear poached in wine and chocolate soufflé cake. An interesting selection of teas were available that were beautifully served in a cast iron teapot and triangular cup. I had the blood orange and pear tisane which was pleasantly tart.

I am anxious to return to Origin but never on a Saturday. Dinner was ื a person with tax and tip. Phone: 908-685-1344.

Where did you go this weekend?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie, I agree completely with your comments on Origin. The food is great, the presentation is innovative and the atmosphere is frenetic. When my wife and I are by ourselves,  the noise is not a bother but it does become a problem when with another couple. Even simple conversation becomes difficult.

Somerville has become a restaurant destination, a lot of styles and types of cuisine.

Tom

Tom D

Glad to see you liked Origin, Rosie!  :-)

Last time we ate there was the Tuesday after the NY Times' Jersey section gave them the rave review.  (The restaurant is closed on Mondays.)  Ken tried calling for a reservation for that evening and thought he was trying to call The French Laundry, it took so long before he got an answer at the other end of the line.  :-)

By the time we had arrived for our 6 p.m. reservation, about 1/3 of the tables were already filled.  The place was just about packed an hour later - and this was a Tuesday, mind you.  Folks without reservations were being turned away; and when we left, shortly before 8, there were a few people waiting on the bench outside in hopes there might be a cancellation.

Yes, Somerville is becoming quite a dining destination!  :-)  We tried the new Thai Chef on Thursday and found it OK - a little light on vegetarian entrees, but very tasty food.  However, beware of the desserts; which seem to be French-inspired, but variable.  I ordered a chocolate souffle, which was very pleasant despite the small size.  Ken, though was disappointed in what was billed as a Tart Tatin - and came out looking more like apple filling atop sliced blueberry muffin.

In spite of that, we'll probably try this place one more time.

The Find of the Week, though, is Masala Grill - a new Indian restaurant in Princeton.  Best samosas I've ever had, nice variety of selections, and prices that are less expensive than we've seen.  We'll definitely be back there!

Helena Robinson

Hillsborough, NJ

Being a French/Thai restaurant I am wondering if Origin would appeal to someone who isn't particulairly fond of Thai. I really want to try the restaurant but need to be sure on who I should have dinner with when and if I do. What are you thoughts?

A.D.S.

That's a hard call. The food was exotic without being "strange." Interesting sauces made with tamarind. I'd give it a shot. Bring a good bottle of wine so if you don't like the cuisine a least you can enjoy the wine. Maybe you should stick with the French part of the menu. I think they had steak frites.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rock, the food is certainly not "pure Thai". It's exactly as billed, a combo of French and Thai. The main thing is it tastes GREAT.

If your looking for pure Thai, this is not your place.

Tom

Tom D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I would go there for dinner sometimes with my father when we both worked in the Piscataway area.  During the week getting a table was no problem at all.  We would get there around 5:30 - 6:00 and sometimes would be the only people in the place.  They must get a later croud.  My father told me that at lunch time they get busy with business diners.

I found the food to be great.  I like the salad with the peanut dressing and then order up some pad thai.  

I thought the desert menu was a bit pricy.

-Scott

• 9 months later...

We recently revisted Origin and our second visit was just as impressive as the first. This restaurant is very popular. We called for a 5:30 reservation on a Sunday night and by 6 PM the restaurant was turning away patrons without reservations. We shared a marinated seared tuna with a sesame soy mustard dressing for an appetizer. Entrees were sautéed flat rice noodles with Asian broccoli and shrimp and duck with a tamarind sauce and tempura style Asian eggplant. Both were delicious. We passed on dessert. Dinner was in the low 40's with tax and tip. Phone: 908-685-1344.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 year later...

Dinner tonight was at Origin, 25 Division St., Somerville (BYO) and the food was just as delicious as it was on previous visits. We started off with marinated seared tuna with a sesame soy mustard dressing; Peking duck salad with containing roasted duck, apples, pineapple, cashew nuts, and Thai dressing; and steamed egg noodles with mushrooms, soy sauce, garlic oil, baby bok choy, and fresh crabmeat. Entrees were a seafood combination platter with steamed sticky rice, grilled vegetables and a trio of dipping sauces; duck tamarind which was a half boneless crisp duck served with Asian eggplant, kiwi and tamarind sauce; crispy fried whole fish seasoned with tamarind, chile and garlic; and a special of ostrich. The sauces here make the dish and everything was perfectly cooked. Don't be upset if you are too full to have dessert as the chocolate mousse cake and bananas with a sauce were just ok. Phone: 908-685-1344.

Where did you dine this weekend?

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 8 months later...

We were delighted to find that Origin, 25 Division St., Somerville (BYO) has expanded. They have taken over the store next door creating a spacious room. Be forewarned that the original room is still crowded and both rooms are noisy. But if you dine here early—we arrived at 6 PM on Saturday night –you can have a leisurely dinner without the hustle bustle that you usually find here.

We started with a special of soft shell crabs with mango; grilled squid with mixed baby greens, mango, tomatoes, and shallots; and pad see ew which were sautéed flat rice noodles with Origin seasoning(?), eggs, Asian broccoli and shrimp.

Entrees were a boneless half duck with Asian eggplant, kiwi and tamarind sauce; cod topped with an artichoke ravioli surrounded by steamed Asian vegetables and a spicy broth; five spice roasted chicken with shiitake mushrooms, asparagus and sticky rice pancake; and roasted chicken with saffron, green olives and cilantro.

For dessert we shared a refreshing sweet sticky rice cake with fresh mango and a pineapple crepe.

Phone: 908-685-1344.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE