• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bella la Cava

Florida Jim

For those familiar with “Black Sheep Squadron:”

2000 La Suite Gramonae, Cava Gran Cuvee:

Aromas of cracked pepper, apple and tonic water/

A very fine bead with strong apple flavors and hints of cream soda and clay, extremely dry and crisp, clean and airy/

Much longer in the mouth than expected with a continuing reprise of apple and tonic water flavors.

Wonderfully dry and complex; not at all like any Cava I have had before. And the length is remarkable.

About $17, retail; Eric Solomon imports.

NV Zardetto, Prosecco:

Clean, gingerale-esque type smells and flavors with light body, a slight hint of earthiness and a non-cloying finish. Wine for the terrace.

About $8 retail, imported by Winebow.

2002 Verget, Saint-Veran, Les Clos:

Rich and opulent on both the nose and palate, not flabby not far from it, concentrated, plush and has a good, smooth finish. This wine could be from anywhere, shows no wood, is denser than I would expect and has no real sense of place or character.

About $16, retail, imported by Stacole.

2002 Verget, Macon-Vergisson, La Roche:

More austere and crisp than the preceding wine with a sort of sour mid-palate and after-taste. This may actually have more short term potential but the sour finish makes me weary. No evident wood.

About $14, retail, imported by Stacole.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

The Zardetto is a good buy -- but the one I really like is the Nino Franco.

Both wines make for great Mimosas as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason, are you referring to the rustico?

Has anybody tasted Nino Franco Primo ($15)? I tried it once, and remembered tasting an interesting single note focus of green apple (sorry if this is an oversimplified description, but I tasted it a while ago). Definitely different from the rustico. The Italian wine buyer of a certain store told me that the primo has the most residual sugar of any prosecco.