• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peacock Alley at the Waldorf-Astoria

Scottf

Keep in mind that Ruth qualified her statement by pointing out that it was only January, or something to that effect.

In any case, I had a wonderful meal at Peacock Alley. I enjoyed the menu format, which allows you to pick and choose your own "tasting menu." Lobster cappucino with a chestnut broth, foie gras with rhubarb, dover sole with morels, watercress and ??? and soft-shell crab with a mango-pineapple sauce all stood out.

Desserts were good, but didn't bowl me over.

What blows my mind is that I got a table on a Friday night with no reservation, only to discover a mostly empty dining room. Is the location (Waldorf Astoria hotel) a factor in this?

Other than the food and wine, pretty much everything at Peacock Alley is a publicist's nightmare. It's right off that hotel lobby, with no windows, in a dining room that isn't hideous but has little to recommend it. The menu is weird. There's absolutely no buzz about the place. Service is good but not fabulous, with the exception of the sommelier who is among the best in town (actually all the management is great). And it's one of the best restaurants in America. So as long as it stays in business, I'm grateful for the underpopulation.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 month later...

I also confirmed this with Peacock Alley's publicist, who said the restaurant may someday reopen -- but without Laurent Gras. I haven't yet been able to get any inside dope on the exact circumstances of his departure, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Quote: from Scottf on 2:19 pm on Oct. 10, 2001

Daniel has been prebooked for us and we've chosen Gramercy Tavern and hopefully Jean Georges to replace Peacock Alley.  Will review in full for the Englanders!    

That would be my dream line up, just add the Gotham. I have only been to Nougatine, the "cheap" part of Jean Georges, out of the restaurants you are visiting and I thought that was great. I hope you will have breathing space between these grand meals, although I have to admit to eating breakfast at Sarabeth's Kitchen on the Upper East Side, lunch at Tribeca Bar and Grill and then dinner at Windows on The World all on the same day last time I visited. I did an awful lot of walking that day if that's any excuse.    

• 4 years later...

I had never even thought to consider this as a place to eat (it's just been re-done and opened in November, I think), but Gael Greene mentions it this week in her "Ask Gael" column on nymetro.com. She didn't love the service (too "amiable," not disciplined enough), but she seems to have enjoyed the food...

Anyone been here since the renovation? I can't remember the last time I ate in a hotel dining room, as opposed to a restaurant that's set up shop in a hotel. Maybe this really is the latter, though Gael seems to present it as the former in her (admittedly tiny) piece.

Here's a link to the Waldorf's dining page: click!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I did not realize it was open yet, weird because I was meeting some people from out of town at Oscar's the other day. Interesting slightly out of date info on the chef http://www.a-r-n.net/people.asp-catid=1141...d=114165811.htm And the good old quote for posterity

"Once he committed himself to the kitchen, Tovar never looked back. “30” Fauchon, Robuchon and Tour d’Argent represented giant steps in Tovar’s culinary path, but it was with Joel Robuchon that Tovar broadened his horizons, learning at age 22 how attention to detail can transform the finest ingredients into perfectly executed cuisine. When Robuchon’s sous-chef Eric Briffard left for Plaza Athenée and requested Tovar as his sous-chef, Tovar accepted with enthusiasm. Here he managed a high volume restaurant, honed his organization and leadership skills, and perfected the technique of “sous vide” cooking, a method that enabled Tovar to achieve superior texture and flavor. During his five-year tenure there, Plaza Athenée earned an additional Michelin star, as well as 5 Gault Millau points.

Looks promising I shall have to try it when I return

Edit: Wow I finally figured out that quote box thingy and it only took me 596 posts :wacko:

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

• 7 months later...