• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dealing with it

Florida Jim

A more than interesting afternoon, revealed leaks in drains and water pipes we had missed the first time around and the necessary calls to tradespersons were made in short order. As the problems continue to develop one is challenged to remain calm and deal with “what’s next.” No mean feat, I can tell you.

So Diane, dealing with it in her way, whipped up some roasted pork tenderloin with pasta primavera and some toasted dinner rolls to go with:

1995 Flowers, Pinot Noir Moon Select:

Considering its past, this showed no overt oak but plenty of tannin. Nice but so tannic as to make one move along to what ever else is next.

2000 Siduri, Pinot Noir Arbre Vert Vnyd.:

Much the better of the two pinots, with considerable cut, crisp cranberry fruit and a palate that is even more enticing than the recent Siduri, Willamette Valley, pinot from the same vintage. ‘Needs time in the cellar.

When all else misses the mark, I “go to:”

1999 Gilles Robin, Crozes-Hermitage, Cuvee Alberic Bouvet:

Without dispute, one of the finest wines in my cellar and a delight to drink at virtually any time in its development. Wonderful black olive and red fruit smells with a smooth but focused texture, bright fruit flavors, lots of Northern Rhone character and good persistence. What a fabulous wine; always a crowd pleaser (and a Jim pleaser).

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I'm amazed that a 1995 Flowers Pinot Noir wold be judged more tannic than a... 1999 Crozes-Hermitage!

No way...

Wow....

Really??

C.R.

aka "Greg Koetting"

P.S.- I'm enamored with a Saint-Joseph by E. Guigal from 1999 which was dark, brooding, and yet maybe more polished than perhaps some California Pinot Noirs...

I'm amazed that a 1995 Flowers Pinot Noir wold be judged more tannic than a... 1999 Crozes-Hermitage!

No way...

Wow....

Really??

C.R.

aka "Greg Koetting"

P.S.- I'm enamored with a Saint-Joseph by E. Guigal from 1999 which was dark, brooding, and yet maybe more polished than perhaps some California Pinot Noirs...

C.R.,

The 95 vintage at Flowers is widely held to be one of the most tannic anyone has seen for pinot. I don't know if it was the fruit or the barrel regimen or the combination, but its been like drinking wine with talc in it for years. Hopefully (and that is a long odds hope), as they age the tannin will settle out but I doubt they will ever be smooth or elegant.

This Crozes is just the best damn thing . . .

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com