• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yama on Bleecker

Beachfan

I'm not aware of a Yama on Bleecker, but I'm not sure.  There are Yamas on Carmine St (off Bleecker), Houston (around Thompson) and I think another one somewhere in Chelsea or Gramercy.

IMHO they're not "destination" restaurants, though they are very good neighborhood sushi places.  (What I mean is, I think they're not as good as the hyperexpensive midtown/uptown places, and they're even a cut below the downtown sushi places in the area such as Blue Ribbon Sushi, Tomoe Sushi, and Taka, but they're also somewhat less expensive.)

Huge pieces of fish, sort of in the Tomoe Sushi tradition.  I'd be sure to get fatty tuna belly (toro), tuna, and yellowtail.  They make a mean unagi/anago (cooked freshwater or saltwater eel) sushi.  If you don't want a la carte, the sushi/sashimi combo is massive and good.

I have not had any of the non-sushi/sashimi items.

Be warned that the Houston St.  location, at least, is extremely popular (like many downtown sushi spots), and to my knowledge does not take reservations, so there's a chance you will have to wait or even line up for a table.

The place on Thompson, just above Houston is the Tomoe Sushi that Jack refers to in his post. For years now, it's had long lines during the most inclement weather. Some time ago they added a plastic enclosed area in front of the restaurant and now I've seen electric heaters in that space, but I think the lines would be just as long without the added comforts.

Tomoe is a great place and has had a devoted following for a long time, although I remember a time when I could walk in and get a table. It's justly popular, but also unjustly over rated in Zagat. Many of its clientele just don't eat in better places to understand where it fits in the grand scheme of things. But that's the problem with Zagat on the whole.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I've been to Tomoe once, and liked it, but wasn't wowed by it.  My favorite downtown is ISO, on the east side.  Any comments about that one?  I agree that it isn't quite a destination place like the hyperexpensive ones, but I'm an out of towner, and the Village itself is a destination.  And ISO is great, not that far below, just a notch below Nobu (which is a little overrated in my opinion).  When I'm eating out a few days in a row, sushi in the Village is perfect for one of the evenings.

Your right about the Yama location, I'm going to the one on Carmine.  They take reservations.

beachfan

Yama is a good, but not great, sushi place- expect big pieces of fish and nothing too interesting in terms of special dishes.  It's a step above most neighborhood places, but doesn't reach the next level.  As for Tomoe, it's a huge, very fresh pieces of fish type place, as opposed to creating a balanced, ordered meal with a number of different tastes type place, which I prefer.  Blue Ribbon, and Jewel Bako are my favorites.  Iso is terrific, a step below those two, but a step above Tomoe and Yama.  

Enjoy!!

Cheers,

Charles  

I went to Yama today and loved it.  I essentially agree with the prior comments, but the fish quality was very top notch. sake assortment better than average, and there were a couple of cooked dishes that were very good/excellent.

Monk fish liver pate was also much better than most.

beachfan

• 2 years later...

Isn't this one of the places for sushi? Like Tomoe and Blue Ribbon? I went there last night and was very disappointed. I ordered the chirashi. There was a good portion of sashimi, but the fish was warm and somewhat soft. Not mushy, but certainly not toothsome. Some pieces fell apart when I picked them up with the chopsticks. Didn't smell funny and tasted fine. Odd. Am I gonna die?

And what's with the rice? Do they add sugar to it or something?

Although I have not been to Yama on Bleecker, I find Yama on Carmine to be utterly underwhelming. The gargantuan sized rolls don't adequately compensate for the lack of quality of the fish, and more importantly, the rice.

At roughly the same price point, you can have a much more enjoyable meal at Kura Sushi (4th & 1st).

I'm curious if there is a significant difference in quality between Yama's various locations. Has anyone been to more than one Yama?