• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malteco Ron

John von Pey

I just received an email from the Cadenhead store in Amsterdam. They are expanding their rum collection with Malteco Ron. But I can't find any information about this one on the net. Anyone?

i5857.jpg

Furthermore they have a set of Rum Malecon. I have found some information about that one (Don Costa on this forum doesn't like it at all). But what about the rest of you?

i5855.jpg

John

p.s. I kept the pictures at this size for clear viewing

Hi John,

I have no Information about Malteco rum (not even heard about it).

But I can tell you something about the Malecon 25 yo.

I got a sample of it and I have to say that I really liked it! It has a special taste that is a bit different from other rums. It full-bodied and very aromatic (spice). It really convinced me so that I added it to my collection.

For +/-60 EUR definitely worth a try!

Cheers

Markus

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John,

How about you and me going to that shop and ask them if we could have a tasting. We can report it on Egullet, so everybody is happy (we the most ofcourse).

You know the way to Amsterdam now, so that should not be a problem. Perhaps there are more people interested in having a tsting in that lovely shop. We can always try. Anybody interested?

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

• 3 weeks later...

The Malteco says above the white print "ron de Guatemala"

The Malecon has nothing readable on the bottle, exept the vague "metodo tradicional Cubano", or does this mean anything "genuinamente envejecido"?

The Malteco is from Guatemala. It is available as 10 years, 15 years and 20 years.

Although Malecon is the name of a big street in Cuba, the Rum is not created there. The Malecon comes from Panama.

Perhaps the people from the Panama distillery have connections with Cuba (like Bacardi and Matusalem) but nobody is sure. Malecon is available as 5, 8, 12, 15, 18, 21 and 25 years. There is also a "1976 Esplenido" to be found.

Both Rums can be bought (in Europe) with a nice display (as on the pictures of john). Imiging is modern for Malteco and more old stylish for Malecon.

As soon as I know more about this product, I will let you know.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com