• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grimaldi's Pizzeria

ahr

Dinner tonight at Grimaldi’s (née Patsy’s, née Patsy Grimaldi’s) in Brooklyn. Since last visit, Italian staff replaced by Hispanics at ovens, Russians elsewhere. Changed for the better: less droop; for the worse: fresh basil strewn more sparsely atop, added so early that it chars; otherwise, pizza at least as good as ever. Roasted peppers in antipasto still yummy, but fewer olives, and tough, too-dry cheese (pizza and antipasto seemingly having differing requirements, mozzarella-wise). Delicious, malty Brooklyn lager, pretty good cannoli out of the fridge, frothy, slightly weak cappuccino. Compared to Lombardi’s (my Manhattan favorite): thinner, less leathery crust and fresher tomato sauce, in more boisterous, less charming setting. Worth the trip. Crowded even at 5 p.m.

Actually, the pizza was just a diet-busting prelude to a Vivaldi and Handel program at Bargemusic, performed by a septet of accomplished artists, at least one possessed of star-quality technique. The barge is a 150-seat, woodsy hall, illuminated mainly by candles and a fireplace, afloat on the Brooklyn side of the East River alongside the River Café, and just the sort of intimate (not to say romantic) venue that I much prefer, at least for small music, to the Lincoln Center pomp and scene. The acoustics are excellent, and the musicians discuss the pieces they are about to play, interacting, even kibitzing, with the audience. The (sadly abbreviated) Manhattan skyline bobs spectacularly up and down and side to side in the picture windows behind the stage, but it vanishes once the music starts.

A plate of cheese, fruit, and crackers, and pastries, wine, coffee, and bottled water are available at the rear essentially at cost.

If you enjoy classical music, check their schedule at www.bargemusic.org.

(Edited by ahr at 1:27 am on Dec. 21, 2001)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

AHR, we spend almost as much on the transportation as on the meal; aka as going out of your way. It's still our favorite pizza. The crust is the equal of just about any bread in town. The red peppers are "de rigeur". It's vital to have as good taste in pizza as in music.

• 4 years later...

With DiFara closed for a while, we satisfied a Brooklyn pizza jones at Grimaldi's on sunday.

gallery_23992_2179_100199.jpg

It was solidly good, not quite up with the best I've had at Patsy's, or even at the late lamented Lombardi's in Philly, but still a very fine pizza. I think it could have benefitted from another minute or two in the oven. (Is Grimaldi's one of those places one needs to order it dark or well-done?)

Some silly teens sitting near us actually sent their pizza back, saying it was burnt... I should have grabbed that one, it looked good as it went by.

The obligatory sliceny.com-style shot:

gallery_23992_2179_54826.jpg

The crust was pretty tasty, but would have been even better with a bit more char. The structural integrity would have improved as well, as this pie did suffer from:

The Heartbreak of Tip-Droop.

gallery_23992_2179_70894.jpg

Despite the slightly floppy crust, it was still a very enjoyable meal. I wouldn't be reluctant to go back if I'm in the 'hood. I liked the the whole package a bit more at Patsy's and Una Pizza Napolitana, but this pie was not far behind.

There was a line even at 5:30, but it moved quickly. Service was terse but effective. It's more than a little claustrophobic in there, but it's worth facing those fears for a pizza this good.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I and some others have found that the further away from noon the less perfect the pizza is likely to be. My understanding is that the oven begins to cool. While still hot it is not quite as hot as it is at noon. Also if the pizza is left standing for any length of time it begions to regain moisture and wilt. Nevertheless, your pizza does look remarkably underdone for Grimaldi's. Perhaps you got the pizza that ws supposed to go to the kids that sent theirs back!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 10 months later...