• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beaujolais

wtbell

In my item on judging scales, I mentioned a negative experience that I've had with this one shop employee when tasting the Beaujolais Nouveau. Aren't the regular 2003 Beaujolais due out about this time?

I'm wondering how they are going to taste -- given the heat and other stresses on the 2003 wines?

BTW, is there anyway to project what the regular Beaujolais are going to taste like from the Beaujolais Nouveau? I'd think that the Nouveau's would be like very early barrel tasting, but there may be other factors I'm not considering.

Ward Bell

Obsidian Communications

BTW, is there anyway to project what the regular Beaujolais are going to taste like from the Beaujolais Nouveau? I'd think that the Nouveau's would be like very early barrel tasting, but there may be other factors I'm not considering.

Ward,

I think a good number of folks are holding their breath.

Some of the 03 Nouveau are out and some are yummy. Some are not.

2003 is a wild card; extreme temps.; huge temp. fluctuations; unknown harvest schedules; it's all a mystery until the wine hits the market. And I wouldn't even hazard a guess.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

In my item on judging scales, I mentioned a negative experience that I've had with this one shop employee when tasting the Beaujolais Nouveau.  Aren't the regular 2003 Beaujolais due out about this time?

I'm wondering how they are going to taste  --  given the heat and other stresses on the 2003 wines?

BTW, is there anyway to project what the regular Beaujolais are going to taste like from the Beaujolais Nouveau?  I'd think that the Nouveau's would be like very early barrel tasting, but there may be other factors I'm not considering.

Good questions. I was also wondering when we will see the "regular" Beaujolais on the shelves.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Regular Beaujolais will start to appear in the market sometime during the spring following the vintage. However, when they appear in your market will often depend on how backed-up the distribution pipeline is with the previous vintage. A retailer or wholesaler with large stocks remaining of 2002 will delay bringing in the 2003 vintage.