• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Ripasso

Rosie

We tried this 10 day old restaurant tonight and thought it was very good. Certainly worth a return visit. For appetizers Lowell had a crisp and tasty arugola salad with olives and shaved asiago. I had sauteed escarole with tomatoes which was a bit too chewy for my taste. Lowell's entee was a  pappardelle with lamb ragu sauce.It was super except they didn't use the VERY wide pappardelle noodles which I love.  I had an excellent filet of salmon served in a lemon caper sauce over spinach. Dessert was a so-so tiramisu. We were told that it was made in house but I have my doubts. Lowell liked the tiramisu and finished it up saving me some calories! BYO  499 S Livingston Ave. Livingston. 973-992-4455.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 years later...

I have posted on this restaurant before. It's a sleeper in restaurant-barren Livingston. I had a bountiful bowl of mussels and cockles. Very good in a light tomato and basil sauce. My wife had a spinach salad with poached pear and goat cheese. Great pear!

My entree was white tuna with lemon and capers. I had a nice conversation with the manager about what white tuna is. He said that it was a French or Mediterranean fish. It reminded me of swordfish, but it was softer, not as firm and fairly light . Whatever the heck it was, it tasted good. My SO had large shrimp in the shell that were grilled (gamberoni). These were the Giambi of shrimp, so large one would think that they are on steroids! But they were good!

For dessert, we had a special. It was a crepe filled with cheese. At our suggestion, it was topped with fresh berries. For those who complain about tepid cappuchino, mine was served as hot as molten lava. Even a couple of ice cubes could only cool it a few degrees. It also tasted good once it cooled.

I think that Corso 98 is a little better than Il Ripasso and Fascino is clearly better. However, this place has its charms, the food is good, the staff tries very hard and we are happy to patronize this place. We are sad that on a Wednesday night, it was rather unoccupied. Give it a try and see what you think. It's in our regular rotation and we are very selective. Note: it's BYO.

Thank you Scarlet Knight. I live right in town and go to the Shoprite regularly and often wondered about this place. Now I know, and will give it a try. It sounds very interesting.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

My entree was white tuna with lemon and capers. I had a nice conversation with the manager about what white tuna is. He said that it was a French or Mediterranean fish. It reminded me of swordfish, but it was softer, not as firm and fairly light .

A white tuna fillet? I don't know what to make of this. I've never been offered this as a fillet before or a whole fish for me to cut up. I've always thought of this a sushi item, a chunk which you slice to make sushi.

A white tuna fillet? I don't know what to make of this. I've never been offered this as a fillet before or a whole fish for me to cut up. I've always thought of this a sushi item, a chunk which you slice to make sushi.

getting the feeling it wasn't actually tuna? me too. but my experience has been the same as yours.

I am sure that it was not tuna and the manager was very frank in admitting that it was not tuna. He said that he would ask his fish purveyor for the literal name of this fish. It was triangular-shaped and it had a dark, tough skin on one side much like swordfish, but it was softer than swordfish. It was also milder and not as oily as swordfish. I enjoyed it, but I do like to know exactly what I am eating. I will press them for an answer next time I go there and post it.