• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bittersweet by alice medrich

foodie3

I've seen the Katherine Hepburn recipe, but I've never tried it. I think I remember it not have too much chocolate...so that's probably why I took a pass.

I hope the brownies turn out for you. Someone noted a slightly longer cooking time--my oven has not been caliberated, so perhaps baking them for 25 minutes would be better. I just take the pan out when the skewer comes out with moist crumbs. :smile:

i make the best cocoa brownies to illustrate the difference between dutched and regular cocoa powders for classes and demos. i think they're a nicely balanced brownie that really showcases the cocoa you use (i usually use valrhona and dagoba). i'll have students (or friends!) taste them blind and then we'll discuss what we liked and didn't like. folks in my neck of the woods have overwhelming prefered the natural cocoa.

i've also made many of the nibby recipes--the almond sticks, espresso cookies, and ice cream are all good.

the savory recipes are interesting to try. the nibby asparagus is a natural, and the sweet and savory meat sauce is a great way to learn more about the italian agro dolce style of cooking.

for my money, dagoba's cocoa nibs beat scharffen berger's hands-down.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I was thinking of making the Tribute Cake.  Has anyone tried it?

Hi Fred,

I was planning to make the tribute cake over the holidays and got as far as making and filling the layers. Never managed to ice or decorate it, though -- damn guests arrived on time and I got distracted. My memory is that the cake was very very moist, and that the layers were quite fragile. But delicious.

I haven't tried a lot from her book yet, but the tiger cake is quite intriguing and different, and the saucepan fudge drops are dead-simple and delicious. What else -- last summer I made the mint chocolate chip ice cream, which was heaven.

Edited by RuthWells (log)

I love the tribute cake! Be forewarned, bake the layers separately, and do not dump them into one pan (like I did once). I got a heavy, dense mess, and while it was amazingly fudgey, it wasn't exactly what it was supposed to be.

The Sarah Berhnhardt Glaze is lovely.

As for the chocolate fans, however, I suck completely at them, and just ignore them completely.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries