• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Odd Tableside Ceremonies

MobyP

Oenomania posted in the UK forum:

"Went to Quirinale 'Ristorante Italiano' near Westminster yesterday. There weren't many tables occupied apart from Roy Hattersley and another group managing their trust funds. The food was adequate but what was amazing is that Quirinale has TAKEN THE CEREMONY OF THE CORK TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL. It was awesome!

The waitress removed a circular disk from the top of the capsule, and then circumcised 90% of the way around the capsule to fold it off the bottle, so it was dangling there still attached. Then she removed the cork, gave it a good long sniff presumably to scoop up any offending TCA, and slid the cork into the hole she had created. Give it a little pat and there you have it: the cork is mounted beside the neck of the bottle, for the duration, for all to admire!!

Has anyone seen this before? What do they do with screw tops? I ought to have then asked for a decanter.

Maybe I don't get out enough. "

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

When I lived in Japan, my neighbor took a class in learning how to open a bottle of champange with a sword, by decapitation. I thought this a fairly odd party trick.

Imagination runs off.....

"I am at a party such as New Years or a Wedding. I see Champange...I take unopened bottle...I request if anyone has a sword...well no, nobody happens to be wearing one at the moment...I guess you understand what I mean."

Opening a champagne bottle by sword is actually pretty easy. Something to do with the structural design of the bottle. You can even do it with the back of a heavy chef's knife.

I've seen it done with the base of wine glass. Took a couple of tries, but it worked.

--- Lee

Seattle

the cork is mounted beside the neck of the bottle, for the duration, for all to admire!!

Sounds goofy to me. Wouldn't the cork be flopping around, just getting in your way when you try to refill your glass? I think that setup would last about 5 seconds before I ripped it off the bottle.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson