• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rippe's steakhouse

Has anyone been to Rippe's Steakhouse on the waterfront?

They have a "coffee flavored steak"

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/01/12/offbeat.s...reut/index.html

Not sure about having beef right now in WA state. :)

Coffee flavored Steak is nothing new on the market.

It was orginally served by Restaurant Associates in NYC when we opened in the Time Life Building a restaurant years ahead of it time called. "La Fonda del Sol".

The Steak was coated with Fresh Roasted Ground Colombian Coffee and pan seared and served with a Mole Sauce with a Coffee Essence added to the Chocolate and was a popular novelty.

Periodically it been reborn with various variations but to date none have been comparable to the original as the Coffee Mole really complimented the Beef as it was finished off by being Baked in the Oven in a Cassarolle with Pepitas, Onions,Fresh Tomatos, Red and Green Peppers then Sliced Tableside and served.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Not sure about having beef right now in WA state. :)

The last paragraph of this article is sorta interesting. Wonder why CNN felt they had to add that "oh BY THE WAY, mad cow disease was found in Washington State!!!"

Born Free, Now Expensive

I could maybe see using coffee on a roast that was going to cook for some time and soften up the coffee, but doesn't it seem like with the fast cooking time of a steak that you would just get burnt coffee grounds on your meat? Nasty.

I had never heard of this place, but did go once when it was Chez Gus. Nasty.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946