• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ciola's in Lakeway

Tremor

Hello. This is my first post; I joined the site yesterday after hearing of it the day before. I've spent some time reading many of your posts, and I like what I see (looks like there are plenty of good old-fashioned smartasses who post here, so hopefully I'll fit right in :rolleyes: ).

I live in Round Rock, and have lived in the Austin area since 1980. My girth attests to the number of restaurants I've tried, and there are so many more to go.

Anyway, if I may add a restaurant suggestion that I didn't see (buy may have missed): Ciola's in Lakeway. My wife and I have eaten there a few times, and also attended a "Big Night" dinner there the first part of April. (They did the whole meal from the movie, and it was great fun.) It's owned by a "real Italian", as he will tell you any chance he gets, and we love the food (his lasagne is really great).

Sounds like there are many Austin-area Italian food aficionados in this forum, so I'd be interested in other opinions. I'm also looking forward to joining the "conversation".

Welcome! We're always thrilled to sign up another Austinite. You're right, we're small but mouthy mighty!

We're getting together at Ventana Cooking School this coming Thursday evening. Don't know if it's too late to squeeze in some latecomers but we can find out if you're interested.

Don't let our online presence fool you.... We're really a very classy bunch.

Well, some of us anyway.

And I always sit right by them. :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thank you, Jaymes. Hope y'all aren't TOO classy. :biggrin:

I was reading about the get-together, and it sounds like a great thing. I'm leaving Thursday for a good friend's family reunion in Oklahoma, an annual event I refer to as "Okiefest". I know I'm entering "enemy territory" :blink: , but his family's a great bunch of people.

I appreciate the invitation and the welcome you extended. I'll be at the next one!

Tremor,

Welcome to the board. I keep meaning to try Ciola's, but when it comes time to go out, I never want to drag my lazy self out to Lakeway. My very close personal friend Rob Balon said to try Ciola's and "ask for Dan". Is Dan the real Italian you speak of? Hope you can join us at Ventana.

Yes, claire797, Dan's the one. Dan Ciola's family owned restaurants back east, and many of his recipes are from his family. He's a very gregarious, friendly fellow. I only "know" him from eating at his restaurant, but he strikes me as very passionate about his place.

I'll bet with a friend like Rob Balon, you never run out of ideas for places to eat!

I'll bet with a friend like Rob Balon, you never run out of ideas for places to eat!

Now, Tremor - if you're going to hang with us, you've got to learn to recognize sassy sarcasm a little bit better.

:laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.