• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Relais est fini

hannnah

I'll put my adult hat on now.

To have this argument on this site is pointless, I feel most of the people on here "get it." Honestly, I tend to overdress at restaurants, and I would have probably shown up sans jacket at Le Relais. American culture as a whole is trending towards more casual attire, and as businesspeople you have to be aware of that and make your stand one way or the other.

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Check it out, my picture is next to a definition in the dictionary!

A Picture of Me

Mike, you've lost weight!!!

I had to. My jeans weren't fitting any more. Gut was getting so big I had a hard time bending down to tie my Nikes. :laugh:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Also, I feel some of the onus should be on the restaurants that do have a dress code to inform their potential guests in advance to avoid embarrassing situations, which at that level of service should be a no-brainer.

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

QUOTE (meaghanfitzgerald @ Dec 19 2003, 12:17 PM)

So what's everyone doing for dinner tonight? 

I was thinking about going home putting on my sweat pants and seeing if I could get a quick bite at Maestro.

I'm contemplating finally trying Palena's bar menu. I'll be the one wearing pale pink Pumas.

:cool:

JUST KIDDING.

I'm going to Equinox's Winter Solstice Wine Dinner

The style is a bit of a preview for Middleburg Inn (I think)

(pasted form website)

The regions of Piedmont Virginia and the Italian region of Piedmonte show strong similarities in their agricultural endeavors.

We hope that you enjoy the marriage of these two culinary regions

*Early Winter Canapés “Blue Ridge Style”*

Bruno Ceretto Arneis, “Blange”, 2000

Pasta Course

“Ravioli del Plin”

Little Ravioli of Middleburg Ricotta and Sweet Onions

with Sage Butter and Black Truffle

Pio Cesare, Chardonnay, 2002

Bird Course

Wine Poached Breast of Poularde & Cottechino Sausage

Celery Root Mousseline and Fruita di Mostarda

Prunotto, Barbaresco, 1999

Meat Course

Featherbed Farm Angus Beef Strip Loin

Potato Rissolle, Gorgonzola Cream, and Barolo Wine Reduction

Ceretto Barolo Zonchera, Piedmont, 1998

Dessert Course

Crispy Chocolate Cannelloni

Gianduja Mousse, Tangerine Sorbet, and Virginia Peanut Brittle

Coppo Brachetto D’Acqui, 2002)

Headed to Nine West now. Bye.

Edited by meaghanfitzgerald (log)

My favorite thing and place with no dress code.

Homemade pizza (well Trader Joe's dough) and a beer in front of the TV

I may have sneakers on, but that will be about it!!!! :biggrin:

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I'll be somewhere around Clarendon. Where should I go? Not expensive and not Cheesecake Factory please. I am considering Hard Times.

I can never remember whether it's at Clarendon or Court House, but Ireland's Four Courts serves honest-to-God boiled bacon and cabbage. (insert spousal rant on American substitution of corned beef for boiled bacon here. :rolleyes: )

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

My partner, who now eats fowl and pork but not other red meat, is unlikely to be charmed by that idea. I'll file it for sometime when I'm dining alone, though. Thanks.

Malawry,

I think there are better options around there. THere's a Big Bowl and a little Vietnamese place (Pho 75) on WIlson Blvd. Just a little further north (on North 10th I believe) is a Sala Thai.

THere are also a couple of little Mexican places on WIlson blvd. -- Mexicali Blues and Guajillo that can be pretty hit or miss. I personally like Mexicali Blues, my wife doesn't.

Mexican around here is generally not too good. One thing I miss about living in Del Ray is Taqueria Poblano. Might even have to make a road trip soon.

Joe

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I wasn't too impressed with Mexicali. I'd just go to Minh's but we had Thai food last night so something Asian of any stripe is probably out.

Edit: Minh's not Ming's. D'oh!

Edited by Malawry (log)

Malawry,

I think there are better options around there. THere's a Big Bowl and a little Vietnamese place (Pho 75) on WIlson Blvd. Just a little further north (on North 10th I believe) is a Sala Thai.

THere are also a couple of little Mexican places on WIlson blvd. -- Mexicali Blues and Guajillo that can be pretty hit or miss. I personally like Mexicali Blues, my wife doesn't.

Mexican around here is generally not too good. One thing I miss about living in Del Ray is Taqueria Poblano. Might even have to make a road trip soon.

Joe

Taqueria Poblano now in Arlington

We're getting pretty far off topic here...

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Well, that part of Arlington is a little easier for me to get to from SS. I hear it calling me.....

We're getting pretty far off topic here...

I wasn't aware that there were times when we didn't. :wink:

Joe W

"Mesozoic clientel," huh? Steve, I'm going to suggest that if you have a problem with me or my opinions you contact me directly at my e-mail: wwthrills@aol.com. You seem to harbor some type of jealousy/resentment/anger/disagreement/disapproval forsome of what I've written about for several years and I think we should discuss this. I must tell you that I do deeply resent your apparent indifference to any restaurant going out of business. I would think that your being in the business you would know better, or at the least, care. I say this because you really seem not to. Perhaps I am misreading or misunderstanding your comments-I am willing to hear you out and admit that I may be overreacting. It might be productive for you and I to meet for a glass of wine and try to understand each other so that we don't carry this any further. Sometimes people can passionately disagree and still be friends, or at the least civil. What say? I'm serious. If you add that you support Bush we will have a LOT to discuss since I do not and I'm always up to a good political discussion as well.

A sincere offer for a peace treaty.

I'll be somewhere around Clarendon. Where should I go? Not expensive and not Cheesecake Factory please. I am considering Hard Times.

Malawry;

I'm sure I'm too late to catch you tonight, but if you find yourself in Clarendon again, you might want to check out Queen Bee on Wilson Blvd (I think). I haven't eaten there in a couple of years, but at one time they had absolutely the best whole fried fish I've ever eaten...anywhere...nothing short of spectacular. Moderately priced and very, very tasty. FWIW.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes