• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prego

chefreit

Never been. Send address. Will ask around. Are they BYO?

Hi Rosie,

Look forward to chatting more with you in the future.

Anyway here is the address.

651 Anderson Avenue

Cliffside Park, NJ

:cool:

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

As I recall, this restaurant permitted smoking in the main dining room and it was foggy! Not a food enhancer for me. Speaking of food, that was not very good, either. I was at this restaurant twice with relatives ( I will lobby not to go back). It was consistently below average in food. A much better choice in the general area is Jerry's Osteria in Tenafly. There have been posts about this which you can search on this site.

As I recall, this restaurant permitted smoking in the main dining room and it was foggy! Not a food enhancer for me. Speaking of food, that was not very good, either. I was at this restaurant twice with relatives ( I will lobby not to go back). It was consistently below average in food. A much better choice in the general area is Jerry's Osteria in Tenafly. There have been posts about this which you can search on this site.

Thank you SK,

I'm going to address these issues as soon as possible.

Also, I would like too invite you and 3 guests back for dinner in the very near future.

As the new Culinary Consultant for Prego, you have given me insight as what to look for.

Sincerely,

Harry R

Chefreit--Can you tell us about some of the entrees that you have put on the menu? Does the restaurant still allow smoking?

Rosie,

Please forgive my vagueness, as this new consulting gig is still in the formative stages. Nothing has been written in stone, so to speak. Below, please find a few of my ideas:

Smoked Swordfish Carpaccio with sweet mustard & onion aioli

Grilled White Polenta

Pan Seared Monk Fish Scallops wrapped in pancetta, w/ porcini duxelles and rosemary

Sage Sausage stuffed Breast of Veal, with cognac roasted Granny Smith's Apples

Pumpkin Squash Au gratin

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Please keep in mind that the "Special" menu would change on at least a weekly basis. I am a firm believer in following the calendar with regards to what I serve. I would choose from only the freshest of ingredients, giving great consideration to what is in season, so as a result Pumpkin will not be offered in the spring and watermelon will not be served in February.

Sincerely,

Harry R

:wacko:

chefreit@optonline.net

• 3 months later...

I've heard that this resto has a terrific Early Bird Special for $12/PP. But I also heard that the smoking is still a problem, very foggy. Also, does anybody know if they allow you to bring wine for a corkage fee?

Wouldn't a good ventilation system eliminate the fog? Anybody been to this place recently?

Even though we never heard anyone really like the food we were talked into going there on Thursday evening. Now that I have heard about the smoking problem I will not go there even on a bet. Thanks for pointing that out. We are now meeting at Bennies.

Hank

• 8 months later...
Sorry for the delay in posting :angry:  ....................................

Is this the deal I see above fron November 2003-- Now that's a LONG negotiation!! :biggrin:

P.S. These clique-ish type places continue to prosper, they don't care about bad reviews, or making any changes to have a broad appeal. Two other (awful) places that come to mind are 90 Grand Grille in Englewood and Tuscany Trattoria in Westwood. These restaurants are always busy in spite of mediocre food and terrible service, because the crowd that goes there is part of the clique.