• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angelina?

sara

Hi

I've been given the difficult task of finding a restaurant for my friend's 22nd birthday. The primary difficulty is that we're a party of 10, and she wants to go out on a Friday night (Dec 19th), and the restaurants I've called so far (Angelina, Alma de Cuba) won't seat us between 6-10 pm. I've asked the manager at Angelina to call me to discuss getting us in at 9 pm instead--but the hostess wasn't optimistic, and I also don't know for sure if it's worth fighting to get in there---how is the food really?? This policy is in place b/c of the need to not overload the kitchen, I know, but eating at 10 p seems ridiculous...

So, here are the criteria--can anyone help?

1. Quality food-but not too exotic (no sushi) and must have at least 2 seafood or veg options

2. Fun atmosphere-- not Pasion (too stuffy) or Lacroix (too formal)

3. Has a liquor license

4. Dress-up -- not a jeans place

5. Big enough to seat 10 of us.

6. Willing to seat us at a reasonable hour.

7. (Sorry Katie, in advance)--not a Neil Stein establishment.

Best part--PRICE is no object. This should make it slightly easier.

THANKS for your help in advance.

Sara

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

maybe consider tequila's/los cantrines on locust between 16th and 17th. they have a big dinning room and they only take reservations for big parties, so you might be able to get in at a decent time. the food is great (especially if price is not a big deal), the service and atomisphere are awesome. great margaritas and they have seafood and vegetarian options. plus, they do cool things for your birthday (shots and guitars and such). otherwise, maybe devon on 18th and dancing and drinks at loie or denim afterwards? have fun... :biggrin:

i like the jack's firehouse suggestion and tequila's suggestions.

bistro st. tropez.

although heard mixed reviews about food and service about them in the past 2 years or so.

sotto/upstairs at varalli's. their tuna carpaccio is quite good.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

7. (Sorry Katie, in advance)--not a Neil Stein establishment.

*sigh* It's OK Sara. You're unfortunately not the only one that feels that way. It's just a shame for the hard working staffs at the restaurants that they end up being the ones that actually feel the punishment in their pockets meant for the true object of your derision. It probably doesn't even hit the radar screen where it's meant to... :sad:

My suggestions given your criteria would be Adriatica, which has a smaller private area in the back where I was a recent guest at a wine dinner. Food is good, they mix a mean cocktail (the Bar Manager Albert is an old friend) and it's a fun and not too casual place.

I'd also consider Novelty on 3rd Street. Also good food, good bar, etc. And how about Pigalle in Northern Liberties? That' a "nice" restaurant that could probably accomodate your group.

Unfortunately you're going to run into a problem with a large group on a busy night. It's not about not wanting your business, but more about having to stop EVERYTHING to plate up dinner for ten while all the various tables for two and four wind up waiting for their food. Some customers will always suffer when there's a big group during "prime time" and I suspect that's the impetus behind either seating your group early or later.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well, Angelina agreed to seat us if we cut our group down to 7 people and swore not to bring more...So, we have eliminated some guests and hope to make it work. However, in case we are forced to expand the group again, I will certainly keep these suggestions in mind. I especially like the Adriatica idea.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Well, Angelina agreed to seat us if we cut our group down to 7 people and swore not to bring more...So, we have eliminated some guests and hope to make it work. However, in case we are forced to expand the group again, I will certainly keep these suggestions in mind. I especially like the Adriatica idea.

Sara:

NEVER let a restaurant bully you into "disinviting" people to a dinner. If they don't want your business or can't at least explain their criteria for larger parties so you can see if it's still an option, then go elsewhere. I find this a whole lot more offensive than almost anything I've ever heard. How RUDE and ungracious can they get! You're a paying customer for chrissakes!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol