• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smelt spareribs

Dave the Cook

mmmm, Frenched Rack of Smelt...

Do you have a source for the little panties that go on the ends? I'm tired of making 'em myself.

The "little panties?" You mean, make your own thongs?

Mrs. The Cook is one lucky woman. At least, I assume you're not making them for yourself... :blink:

--

mmmm, Frenched Rack of Smelt...

Do you have a source for the little panties that go on the ends? I'm tired of making 'em myself.

The "little panties?" You mean, make your own thongs?

Mrs. The Cook is one lucky woman. At least, I assume you're not making them for yourself... :blink:

Oy. Slang for those frilly chop holder things like you sometimes get on rack of lamb. Making them for smelts is a bitch.

There's no need to bring Mrs. Dave into this. Or make her suspicious. Really. Don't go there. Please.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

You’re just too funny!

I used to net smelt from the Cowlitz river (SW Washington state, Castle Rock) back in the 50’s. I remember having to empty some of the net because it was too heavy to pull in. They are wonderful just floured and pan fried. We also converted an old refrigerator into a smoker. We put a hot plate in the bottom with a pan of wood chips. We hung each individual smelt from the wire shelves. Wonderful flavor!!!

I remember looking up the smelt catch in the Cowlitz over the years and it peaked at exactly the time I was netting them. It’s fallen off considerably now.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro