• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rules Of The Game

PDC

Have never been to CT.  But - from the description - it sounds like restaurants like Jean Georges in New York - and Azul in Miami.  Very cutting edge - very intellectual.  You feel out of place if you're not in black head to toe.  At best your taste buds will be challenged - and you will appreciate the interior design.  And you will feel trendy.  But you'll never think that anything you eat is "yummy".  You will never say to the person you're dining with - "no - I won't share - I want it all" :).  If you drop a morsel on the floor - you won't try to distract everyone around you while you try to pick it up.

I don't know that I would label CT in that way (I have never been to those restaurants you mentioned either). I ate the same meal Adrober did, and thought it was definitely tasty. Charlie Trotter's focus is more on sourcing out unbelievably good ingredients.

Nobody should ever go into a fine dining place and expect unbelievably, soul-satisfyingly good food, manna prepared by god himself, and lots of it. Food just doesn't get that good. For that, they should find a really good burger or pizza, IMO.

P.S. The whole "really best" ingredients thing was a trend in restaurants that started when most people didn't have access to a lot of these ingredients. Today - lots of people in major metropolitan areas have access to those ingredients. I was at a "farmer's market" in Beverly Hills last year (sounds strange - but that's what it was) - and the fresh produce looked "to die for". And - even if you're like me - and you don't live in a place like Beverly Hills - you can - increasingly - buy things on line - next day fedex delivery. So the restaurant that serves Jamison lamb isn't such a big deal - even for me - because I can prepare it at home. Ditto with Hudson Valley fois gras. Not to mention that when I get a real "Jones" for cheese - cheese and chocolate are 2 of the big loves of my life - ranking only slightly lower than my husband :) - I have it delivered overnight from a web store in France. So my main goal when I go to a big deal restaurant is not only to get the best ingredients - but to have them prepared in ways that I either can't (or won't) do myself because the preparations are too complicated for my limited skills - or I don't have the time. Robyn

4) And remember---it's just food.

*shudder*

Those are words that I'll never understand. Food is passion. And I am in constant awe of a chef that provides food that inspires him/her with a philosophy of "Live in each season as it passes, breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit and resign yourself to the influences."

robyn: Be very careful about asserting such judgment filled, broad concepts of "right" and "wrong." Perception is everything.

Re: Rules of the Game (short and sweet, I've had some fun with the laptop today and losing my internet connection, so I wish not to write out anything long enough that I will only have to retype)

What rules? Research that chef and their menus. Understand and know what to expect when you walk in to that restaurant. Drink wine, and much of it! (taking notes of course) Get acquainted. Other than that, trust yourself in the hands of professionals. Communicate with service staff -- they are there to ensure a pleasurable meal. Lastly, keep an open mind to be transfixed by the beauty, balance, texture and complimentary/contrasting flavours that you will be presented with to enjoy. :wub:

edit: aw, crap. a typo slipped in doing terrible injustice to Thoreau. :angry:

Edited by beans (log)

Nobody should ever go into a fine dining place and expect unbelievably, soul-satisfyingly good food, manna prepared by god himself, and lots of it.

Oh no, I don't believe that. (Well, the "lots of it part" maybe...) I remember a scallop amuse at Gary Danko that I can still *taste*--even though I normally dislike scallops. I remember a recent experience at Chez Panisse where the flavors melded together so perfectly that I could have floated out of the restaurant. I think that at the very best restaurants they justify their prices by giving exquisite service AND sublime food. I've dined at many high-end restaurants where, upon exiting, I just thought, "Eh, the food was good and I'm full, but that's it." But I've dined at a few where I can indeed say I was satisfied to my soul.