• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeling a pumpkin?

pleiades

So there's this great, simple recipe for pasta pumpkin sauce in last month's Cucina Italiana....simple but for the peeling of the pumpkin. I broke the peeler, and tried a bunch of knives, but it was a real PITA. Is this just they way it is, or am I missing a secret?

Do you need the pumpkin in chunks? Yes, it is a PITA to peel.

If you don't need chunks, cut the pumpin in half, scrape seeds, cook, cool and then scrape out flesh. Much easier.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Anytime a recipe calls for peeling and dicing a raw winter squash, pumpkin, whatever, that tells me that they have never really cooked the recipe. :biggrin:

It is just too hard to do, and unnecessary. I always cook, at least a little, maybe nuke it, to the point I can deal with it without bodily harm. Put your peeler to rest with the appropriate requiem and don't try to do that again. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I just cut into half and the quarters or more with a cleaver. Scoop seeds, peel off skin with a chef's knife.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I just cut into half and the quarters or more with a cleaver. Scoop seeds, peel off skin with a chef's knife.

What Jinmyo says. I'll just add that it helps if you don't get too fussed about losing a little pumpkin pulp.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Cut the bottom and top off so it will sit flat safely without rocking. Then, using a knife, cut the outside off like you would to supreme and orange or grapefruit etc... Make sure you push the knife away from you, and hold it firm since it's considerably more firm than a citrus fruit.

But this works.