• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Square.

I would never want to suggest to anyone what they should, need, want to spend, etc.

But I think it's worth considering that the we will already 'invest' heavily in the food, I think it would be a shame if we didn't make some allowance for correct wine to feature in the plans.

The square is very strong, and offers excellent value in the Rhone, much more so than any other area.

Just something to chew over amongst the priorities - whatever they maybe.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

While not very impeccant, and modestly impeccunious, and keeping Scott's motto in mind, I'd think this discussion comes with 2 possibilities.

1) If we have dinner (£55), then there's more leeway on wine.

2) If the tasting (£75) then there's more on food.

My preference would be towards 2.

Andy - could you give us some estimates on cost + service for the two options, so people can express a preference?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Andy - could you give us some estimates on cost + service for the two options, so people can express a preference?

Its entirely down to how much we drink on the night and what we decide we want. A better way might be to set a limit and speak to the sommelier about getting wines to match the food for the money we are willing to spend. At Chez Bruce and The Fat Duck, we managed to get a discount on the cost of the menus which helped, that may happen here but I'm not counting on it.

Rough guide - a la catre with wine and service £100.00

tasting menu with wine and service £150.

Is that post-facto or ad hoc bitchiness?

Or of the grabbing the waiter by the lapels and threatening to turn his poodle into the INS if we don't get another piece of foie gras - kind?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

• 3 weeks later...