• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strolli's?

bethb

There used to be a wonderfully inexpensive restaurant named Strolli's in Philly. We're planning a trip and wanted to include a stop there for old time (poor student days) sake, but don't remember exactly where it was. Does it still exist?

There used to be a wonderfully inexpensive restaurant named Strolli's in Philly.  We're planning a trip and wanted to include a stop there for old time (poor student days) sake, but don't remember exactly where it was.  Does it still exist?

This place has been closed for YEARS. And yes - it was cheap as dirt for good homemade-type Italian food. It was at 15th & Mole Streets in South Philly. Like stepping into a time warp. A cup of pastina soup was like 95 cents. A bowl was $1.25 or so! You could eat like a skinny Italian kid in there with a pushy Nonna saying "MANGIA! You're much too thin!, etc." and still not spend $10.00. Place was wonderful and I truly miss it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh how I miss Strolli's. In college it was one of the great places to dine on a student budget and still feel like you went someplace special.

And it was.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Ohhh, baby. Strolli's was such a great place. Cheap, cheap wine flowing without even a cursory look at IDs, really good ravioli, braciole, the "dangerous" location (hey, to a kid from Westchester, 15th and Dickinson was just a step or two below 225th and Gun Hill Rd.). It was like being invited to partake of this amazing secret culinary life of Philadelphians. It does make me wonder how I would feel about the food now, fifteen years down the road.

owner, Rx

It does make me wonder how I would feel about the food now, fifteen years down the road.

Greg - I'm right there with you. I suspect my palate is a bit more sophisticated now than it was in college. At least I HOPE it is, given my chosen profession and responsibilities... :hmmm:

Nonetheless, Strolli's was such a fun place for a cheap date (I had several there, back in the day) and it was so much like eating at Nonna's, if you had a Nonna (which I did not), so I just loved it!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sophisticated palate or not, what Strolli's served was very good Italian food, and yes, it was VERY much like MY nonna's, ESPECIALLY the ravioli, gnocchi and braciole. But I never told her that, she would have killed me for the comparison.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I would assume a sophisticated palate to be one that recognized excellence and mediocrity in everything from a hot dog to high cuisine including homestyle Italian.

Agreeing with myself I go on to suggest that, for what it was, a sophisticated pallete would indeed have appreciated the cuisine at Strolli's.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter