• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Tewksbury Inn

Cookin'Tone

Thinking about taking a ride out there (Oldwick, NJ), but wanted to know if anyone has already sampled the wares there. I know Chef Chris Quintile took over as Head Chef, but I don't know much about his cuisine. He's out of Chicago. Anyway, any info would be great.

Thanks-

Tony

:biggrin:

Edited by Cookin'Tone (log)

I haven't been there in a while either. But they do have a great outdoor patio. They may have shut it down by this point. Its probably worth the trip just to walk through the quaint little main street and check out all the history and Victorian homes.

I do know the General Store next door (Oldwick General Store) is wonderful and serves great grill food, soups, and sandwiches. The place is quite crowded on Sunday mornings with families, bikers, and just about everybody. A great NJ experience. And, thankfully, one of Western NJ's many great general stores with lots of charm and history.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've heard, Chef Chris took over almost a month ago. Had dinner there the other night, but when I asked about the menu, I was told that his menu hadn't been approved as of yet. Even after hearing that I wasn't eating 'his' menu, it was still pretty good, basic fare. I really liked the area, I've never been up in Oldwick, so seeing the old Vicorians and that General Store was great. Smells like old money!

• 1 month later...

Try to drive to the Tewksbury Inn, 55 Main Street, Oldwick when it is light out so you can enjoy the scenery on Route 517. Our dinner there was very good but I would have preferred to view the farms on our ride there rather than the dark rural roads. The restaurant has two dining rooms. One dining room is smoke free and the bar, which was hopping, is not.

We started with a mixture of rolls and bread along with butter and olive oil followed by salads. My salad, a vertical presentation of bloomed fig with baby arugula, hazelnut vinaigrette, Stilton blue, and port syrup, was tremendous and could have easily been shared by two people. Lowell had the Caesar salad which was fine but uninspiring. Entrees were excellent. Pork lovers should not miss the maple glazed double cut pork chop with whipped sweet potatoes, cranberries, haricot verts and applejack sauce. I had a special of barramundi, a fish from Australia. Chef Chris Quintile sautéed it and served it with a leeks and mussels. It was as good as the dishes I had when visiting Australia and New Zealand. Try it if it is on the menu. For dessert we shared an apple crisp with vanilla ice cream and a berry tartlette. Lowell reported that the coffee was excellent and we did find out that the restaurant grinds it’s own beans. With tax, tip, a bottle of wine ($43) the bill was $140.

Lunch Tuesday through Saturday 11:30 AM to 4:30 PM; Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM. Dinner Tuesday through Thursday 5:30 to 10 PM; Friday and Saturday 5:30 to 10:30 PM; Sunday 4 to 9 PM. Reservations are accepted for lunch on weekdays and for parties of eight or larger and on holidays. Phone: 908-439-2641.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I've always liked the outdoor patio and the inside has a nice old cozy feeling but, the food was always ho-hum to me and with my most recent visit a few weeks ago, it has retained that ho-hum quality. I certainly wouldn't get excited about the food but I also just like the drive down there.

Edited by bbqbrisket (log)

As I write this I have a note to call them today to meet with the owner Karen, re her wine list and my wines.

I have had a number of good to very good lunches there in the past few years.

Plus wine list and BTG selections are quite good.

IMHO, of course.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

I've always liked the outdoor patio and the inside has a nice old cozy feeling but, the food was always ho-hum to me and with my most recent visit a few weeks ago, it has retained that ho-hum quality. I certainly wouldn't get excited about the food but I also just like the drive down there.

Chris Quintile is the new chef. Check "Chefs on the Move" on Table Hopping With Rosie.

http://www.njmonthly.com/rosie/chefs.html

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE