• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bratwurst

gabe

What is a brat? Why, it's a cultural icon of the sausage variety. It's quite the delicacy to a small, but vocal, slice of the Midwestern population known as Cheeseheads. See the link below.

brat song

Edited by Cusina (log)

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

• 2 weeks later...

The reason for simmering them comes from the days of the 'brat frys' when large amounts of brats were grilled & needed to be kept warm. They would keep them in simmering beer to stay warm & it wasn't a bad flavor addition either.

I've cooked them in beer first, then grilled them & had good results. But traditionally, as those in Sheboygan do it, you're supposed to grill them on medium/medium low fire so they don't split & simmer them in beer if you like, but it's not necessary. Then you take 2 brats & put them on a 'hard roll' with a little ketchup, mustard, onions & pickle and dig in!

And the fresh wurst is always better than the pre-cooked.

Prussan-Persian fusion -

I picked up a pack of cooked brats at Trader Joe's the other day, but really didn't want to simply grill em up and throw them on a bun.

Had also picked up a box of Sugar Buster's allowable whole wheat couscous. Got to thinking.

Sliced and fried up the brats in a little oil til brown on the cut edges. Sauted some mushrooms and an onion. Cooked up a cup of couscous with a cup of water and some butter. Mixed the sliced brats, mushrooms and onions, tossed in the couscous, added a few spurts of balsamic vinegar.

Kinda good.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter