• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle: Marakesh in Belltown

Did you see the recent reviews in The Stranger and the Seattle Weekly? Made me want to give it a try, but I'm kind of a Middle Eastern food junkie. If its a good Moroccan place, then cous cous should be the thing....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

What can you tell me about it?

I am going next month and would love to hear what's good, what's not so good, etc.

We went a couple of months ago, just after they opened. Bottom line: very good. There were 8 of us, so we did they Supreme (I think that's what they call it), where for $20/person, they bring out pretty much everything on the menu. Everything was delicious, though I seem to recall the lamb disappearing quicker than everything else.

My only complaint was that you're expected to eat *everything* with your hands: couscous, hot chicken dishes, etc etc etc. Not only is it messy (though they give you a huge napkin to cover yourself) it's also impractical. It's definitely worth going though - just make sure you practice eating couscous with your bare hands first.

- S

Thanks tighe and fish.

I hadn't seen the reviews from The Stranger or The Weekly. I had only ready a preview in the Times. After reading those, I am placing a call to the planner of this event because I know at least 1/3 of the participants are vegetarian and maybe even vegan :shock:

But I do think I will try it myself even if we select another restaurant. I remember fondly Mamounia (sp?) when it was in Seattle. I had a lot of special meals there.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I think I'd take a fork with me!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I've been to Marrakesh twice, good experience overall. I do have one suggestion though.. since they serve the food in courses, unless you've got a sweet tooth, try to make your main course a savory one, because it gets served between the b'stilla (chicken, nuts and eggs in filo dusted with powdered sugar and cinnamon) and the dessert.

The second time I went, I got the chicken with honey and prunes for my main, and having three sweet things in a row was a bit much for my tongue.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Welcome to eGullet Pat.

Thanks for the good advice. Three sweet courses in a row would be too much for me too. And the chicken with honey and prunes sounded so good I probably would have ordered it!

Thanks for the welcome. :cool:

I guess if you go in a group which is ok about digging in family style, you could get away with ordering a sweet main course since you'd get to taste everything, but yes, it is definitely too much sweetness for a meal for one person IMO.

Also, maybe it is my memory getting cloudy but I seem to recall that same honey chicken prune dish being more complex at the Marrakesh in Spokane, though this was around 5 years ago. Whereas at the Seattle Marrakesh it's just... sweet. Probably better in small doses nicked from a companion's plate. :biggrin:

Pat

They are owned by the same person, according to the staff I spoke to at the Seattle Marrakesh. They also confirmed that the Spokane Marrakesh is owned by someone different, which I know didn't used to be the case because back when I was living in the Spokane area, the owner at the time told me he ran both the Portland and Spokane restaurants, so something must have changed between then and now.

The menu is identical from what I remember, right down to design, typeface, and blurbs.

Pat

Thanks, Sleepy Dragon, for corroborating that the Portland and new Seattle Marrakesh are under the same management.

My wife and I had a marvelous meal recently at the Portland Marrakesh. Every course was delicious, but my wife is still raving about the lentil soup. It was the best lentil soup we ever had anywhere.

We look forward to trying the new one in Belltown.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Every course was delicious, but my wife is still raving about the lentil soup. It was the best lentil soup we ever had anywhere.

b

OK, I'll bite.... how do you eat soup with your hands? :blink:

Didn't you ever scoop water out of a stream? Gotta keep those fingers closed though!

Seriously, it's bowl-to-mouth style, sans spoon.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Hehe yes indeed, what bbqer said.

Anyway, I know some people have mentioned not liking to eat with their hands, but I love it. It's fun to me. (needless to say, I love Ethiopian and Eritrean food too, as well as Indian)

The couscous can be a bit hard to manage though, I still need to practice that. Plus be patient for a bit in order for the food to cool enough to dig my fingertips into it. Oh well, more excuses to keep going. :cool:

Anyway, bbqer, when next you go to the Seattle Marrakesh, I'd be interested in hearing how the lentil soup compares. I actually don't like it as much as what I got at the Spokane Marrakesh a few years ago, a little too much on the tomato for me as opposed to the Spokane version being lighter, more cumin-y, and with the addition of barley, though it's still nice.

I'm just happy to have Moroccan food back in Seattle with all the atmosphere and fingerlickinggoodness. :wub:

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

• 1 year later...

A search of this forum revealed very little about Marrakesh since 2003. Has anyone been recently?

We have eaten at Marrakesh in DC several times, most recently in early December. The event is always fun with a group, but the food has become fairly average. Can anyone compare the two places?

I still can't go because I feel nothing but revulsion at the idea of sharing food others are eating with their hands. People do all kinds of things with their hands I wouldn't do. Maybe I'm OCDing here, but seriously, I feel fine acting like a snob about it.

i was there once as a (fish eating) vegetarian. not much there for me to eat. overcooked salmon, couscous and salad as i recall. i was there with a large group who had the full monty meal thing. the salad was delicious, but, as i recall, was a puree - leaving the one relatively simple thing to eat with ones fingers nearly impossible. i wouldn't go back.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

i wouldn't go back.

i'm with you. had dinner there this past summer with two friends and was very disappointed in the food. savories were far too salty, sweet dishes were terribly sweet, and it took a reeeeeeaaaaaaalllllly long time. the saving grace was an unknown beer, which i can't remember the name of. probably because we ended up drinking too many while waiting for our courses!

lemony