• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[PDX] Taquerias...

I think I've put this out on Chowhound before, but never on egullet, so I might as well, since I tried a new one today. Not sure of the name. Too much crap on the walls. It might be called Antojitos Mexicanos, or they might just be telling you what they have. Anyway, it's out in Gresham just west of the Burnside/Division interesection. It was okay. They had tacos, burritos, sopes, quesadillas, and huaraches (though I didn't notice that until after I ordered, otherwise I would have gotten one). They also had pozole and some other miscellaneous dishes. I got two tacos, one carnitas (my favorite, and so my standard test) and one birria de chivo. Both were actually decent. Not great, but B+ quality. The carnitas weren't crispy at all and rather fatty, but the flavor was excellent. Seasoned just right and obviously cooked in lard. The birria was decent as well. Nice and tender, just like a good pot roast meat. They had a couple salsas which were quite firery and had decent flavor. They made my teeth hurt, though.

Anyway, here is my short list of taquerias in Portland. These are the best and the only ones I consider deserving of an A grade:

Ochoa: Out in Hillsboro. They have good meats, including real carnitas by the pound. They have a huge menu that goes way beyond tacos, including antojitos like huaraches, one of my favs. They have lots of other combination plates, too, that are very much what you'd see in Mexico. They also have chips and salsa here, though I don't think it's free.

Salvador's: In Woodburn. They have an outlet in Tigard, but it's a mere shadow of the real thing. The best of the bunch is in downtown Woodburn, has a tienda connected to it with tons of very good pan dulces. I love going with my wife to the factory outlets in Woodburn because it means a trip to Salvador's. I've tried most of the taqurias in Woodburn (downtown Woodburn is essentially a little Mexico), and Salvador's is the best. They make their corn tortillas for the tacos and such fresh for each order. They have recently added huaraches, though they're not as good as Ochoas'. They also go beyond supplying just taqueria food, adding full dinners and pozole, menudo, etc. Their prices are quite good. They have a great selection of salsas, too. Weekends are awesome here. There is lots of activity, families and such, and the selection of meats and dishes increases.

La Iguana Feliz: Near the airport. One of my long-time favorites. I found it early on in my taco search and I'm amazed how well it has held up. They still have two of the best table salsas I've ever had. Now they give you free chips, too, and have added a third salsa that's decent. They still supply the free radishes, though, thank goodness. They have some of the best quality meats prepared well I've ever had at a taqueria. They do make you pay a little more, though, charging as much as $1.75 for a taco depending on the filling. The carnitas here is probably braised and so less greasy than some, but still very tender and juicy and a higher quality of meat than most places. Always seasoned well, too. The asada here is the best I've had. Only once (and I've been here a million times) was it not excellent. It's usually small pieces charred and seasoned very nicely on the outside like it should be. Carne asada should *not* be fajita meat and this isn't. I love the birria here, too, and they almost always have it. I had the pozole recently, which was very good.

Tortilleria y Tienda de Leon: Gresham. Not really a taqueria, but a store with a deli counter in back where some of the best Mexican food in town is served up. They have a glass case with several items sitting in warmers. You'll see things like nopales and beef in sauce or pork in sauce or ribs in sauce. You make an order of whatever you want and they give you a bunch with tortillas. The tortillas are made fresh there (though not for each order specifically; they're a tortilleria). They also have excellent, true Michoacan carnitas by the pound. You can see the vat of lard in the back bubbling away. They do have some tables to sit at. They have a lot of salsas, but some of them actually are pretty bad so taste test first.

Honorable mentions:

Uruapan: SE 82nd. Might not make the A grade but they have an excellent selection of salsas, usually. I think they might even rotate them a little. The meats are decent, but I think the salsas raise these guys up.

La Bonita: NE Alberta. Better than Sirenita next door. I think they're just consistently a little better. Plus, they make very good tamales.

Vancouver taco trucks: Vancouver, of course. There're these three taco trucks with different names but run by the same people in Vancouver. I know two of their locations. One is just east of the intersection of 503/500 and 4th Plain. Another is near the intersection of 28th or Burton and Andresen. Very good and very cheap. They have great cabeza and good carne asada. No carnitas, but decent al pastor. Huge burritos that are very cheap, but I'm a taco person.

El Grillo: Probably not as good as the rest of these, but hey, it's the best downtown has to offer. When I worked downtown, I probably tried every taco truck there was. El Grillo was better. It's not great, but it's good. And if you drink enough beverages and have to pee, you can't be held accountable if you see some boobies at the adjoining strip club that shares its bathroom with El Grillo. Actually, I just think it's fun watching the businessmen who come in for lunch acting like the guys from Porky's getting a free peep.

Anyway, that's my list. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm always willing to try it. I may have already tried it. I try a new one just about every time I see one. I may have tried 50 by now. At one time I had them all written down, but I figured who cares about the mediocre ones. It's enough effort just describing the good ones.

On the weekends the al pastor at Urupan rocks. They do it right, with pinapple and marinated pork all hung up above the grill on a giant skewer type deal where the cook shaves it off right onto the grill. I also like their lengua, but the rest of the meats are not that great. When I'm there, nearly everyone is eating the al pastor. It actually is an exception to my no fruit with meat rule.

I'm going to check out that place in Woodburn soon, I have a pot to exchange at the Le Crueset factory outlet. Have you spotted fresh masa for tamales in your Woodburn travels?

regards,

trillium

Edited by trillium (log)

Yeah, I usually do the same -- Becerra's (actually, I usually just use my tortilla masa harina because it's hard to use up the stuff). I think all of them that I've been to have it. Since Woodburn is so far for me, I've never really looked through their cold section too much, just noted that they have things like fresh crema. They have a butcher in their restaurant and produce as well. It'd surprise me if they didn't have at least frozen masa para tamales. However, no one that I can find consistently has squash blossoms or huitlacoche in the can (at least I've found fresh squash blossoms this summer lots of places, including the farmers markets). There's a tortilleria in town where no English is spoken. It's just a couple blocks or less northwest of Salvador's. They sell their masa harina there. I just get hot tortillas there (very good). But you could ask them if they sell fresh masa.

I was thinking about getting a 7.5 quart oval or 7 qt round Le Creuset pot there off their "seconds" rack. What's your experience been?

Thanks for the hints. I'm looking forward to checking those places out, once my mum shows up with wheels! I speak enough Spanish to get by, especially when it comes to gustatory matters, so I'll check out the tortilleria too (that's where I would buy masa in Chicago).

I've had a great experience buying Le Creuset seconds in the past. I usually wait for the June and December sales where they're an additional 15-35% off. They used to just be 35% off but now they have some stupid scratch card that tells you your discount. If you're really charming, like my mother, you can talk your way into the 35% discount even if you get stuck with a 15% one. I'm not sure I can be that charming, which is why it's nice to have her along. Lately I've noticed that the seconds have been really bad compared to what I've bought in the past. That doesn't mean that you can't find a good pot, just that you need to look at the insides of a lot more than before (I think I looked at 20 this last time). I don't mind flaws on the outside, but I don't want exposed parts (from air bubbles popping during firing of the enamel) on the cooking surfaces. For me, the effort was worth it, you pay about half of what you'd pay for one that's "on sale". They still carry the 101 year warranty, they'll just replace them with another second. I'm not at all picky about colors, I don't care if things match, so that helps.

regards,

trillium

Urapan has a place on 52nd(ish) and Foster as well as the 82nd location. I tend to prefer the former.

I can't agree with the ranking of Bonita above Sirenita - that artificially-orange "mexican" rice that they add to their burritos just doesn't do it for me.

I can't agree with the ranking of Bonita above Sirenita - that artificially-orange "mexican" rice that they add to their burritos just doesn't do it for me.

Like I said, I'm a taco person. I'm truly judging these places on their value as taquerias and as cooks of authentic Mexican street food, which burritos aren't. Bonita also has good pozole in addtion to good tacos and tamales. Someone with broad experience should probably go through and separately rate places for best burritos. I'm sure the results would be quite different. Some of these places, like Ochoa and Salvador's, do burritos as an afterthought, I think, to placate American tastes. You don't see many Latinos order burritos, in my experience. It's tacos, soups, and tortas for them. I'm not loco for tortas, but I gotta agree with them on tacos.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get over to the center of Vancouver much since I live way on the east side. But I had a coupon for Thai Little Home that was going to expire and it'd been a while since I'd had Thai food. Thai Little Home, of course, was good. I don't know what it is about their stuff, but it always has a quality to it that separates it from most Thai places. For those who want to avoid the attempts at chic Thai by places like Typhoon and who like their curries without loads of sugar, Thai Little Home is a good option. Their prices are always cheap as hell, too.

Anyway, on the way there I noticed this taqueria I'd never seen before. Down 4th Plain in Vancouver there are a lot of them along with a few Mexican markets, a couple of which are actually decent -- at least better than most in Portland, which isn't saying much. Nothing as good as you'd find in Hillsboro or Woodburn, though. On the north side of 4th Plain just a couple buildings east of Thai Little Home and set back in a collection of little places next to some Russian store an al pastor cart with flames blazing caught my eye. I swore to hit it on the way home, which, even though I was stuffed, I did.

They advertised birria de chivo and al pastor but had several other standard items. One of the things I noticed was that for 25 cents extra you could get your tacos "com tortillas hecha por mano". I ordered one taco al pastor and one carne asada with the hand-made tortillas.

Even though I was stuffed, I ate both, and they were large tacos. The carne asada was almost like nice cabeza it was so tender and juicy. It's not the carne asada you get in Mexico or at La Iguana Feliz, but its style is fine with me. I love cabeza when it's done right. The al pastor was crisped on the outside with a nice flavor and served with grilled onions. They had a little salsa tray on the counter with cilantro, onion, salsa cruda, radishes, and a tomatillo salsa and a (probably) chile de arbol salsa, both of which were good.

Definitely a good find. Next time I'm over that way I'll be interested to try the birria. I'd also like to see if they make their quesadillas with corn or flour. Since they have masa de maiz ready for tacos, they would be able to do quesadillas almost as easily. Aren't many places that make them that way.

• 4 months later...

Tried San Felipe today in Westmoreland. Pretty good. Had a carnitas and asada taco. The asada was very similar to what you'd get in Mexico, relatively small bits nicely seasoned and crusted. The carnitas were more like Iguana Feliz's carnitas than Salvador's, Ochoa's, or de Leons. ie, less crispy on the outside, but still tender and well-seasoned.

They also have gorditas that sound like they're actual gorditas, not some Taco Bell bastardization. Apparently they use masa and fill them. I didn't get one, but the description sounded accurate.

And they make their tortillas fresh for each order. That's very nice. They're a little more expensive than many places, $1.75/taco, but it's worth the fresh tortillas, imo. The salsas could use a little work, but they weren't bad.

I don't think they quite make the top tier, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're the best in that area. I'd have to try more stuff and their gordita would have to impress me to make the top tier.

• 1 month later...

I swear, in the last 6 months the number of taquerias has more than doubled along Fourth Plain in Vancouver between I-5 and 205. This is becoming a great stretch. Several of the places make a point of offering freshly made tortillas.

One of the newest is Taqueria Colima, which I tried for the first time tonight. I had a taco de asada and a taco de birria. Both carnes were flavorful and cooked nicely. The tortillas were made fresh. They had a red and a green salsa, both good enough. Other meats included adovada, lengua, and pollo. Notably, no carnitas or al pastor, which I actually respect, since too often al pastor is just adovada and carnitas is just roast pork. If they're not going to do it right, they shouldn't do it at all.

Stopped by Poncho's al Pastor and talked with the lady there. They do indeed have the spit turning with the pineapple on top every day. Plus they use an entire pineapple in making the marinade. They grill up the pastor with onions which get nice and caramelly. Their asada is quite good as well. You pay an extra 25 cents for fresh tortillas and you do have to ask for them. The older lady here is very nice and happy to answer any questions and accomodate any requests. She'll make fresh quesadillas Mexico style if you ask, for example.

That makes four really good taqueria options within a mile or so along Fourth Plain: La Michoacana, de Leon, Poncho's, and Colima. There's a new place that just opened that I haven't tried, too. Plus there are at least 4 mediocre options along here.

Okay you Washington County taco munchers: help. I ate some great stuff at Cinco de Mayo and a lot of the best were by places that have trucks in Beaverton/Hillsboro. Here are the places I'm looking for:

* El Tianguis de Morelia

* Richi's

* Mister Tacos

* Mexico Lindo

* Ay Caramba

You can see my website for pics of these places. They have their signs on their booths. If you find one, I'll buy you a couple tacos there for lunch some time.

• 2 weeks later...

The tacqueria at the corner of 42nd and NE Killingsworth...it always has a different name posted but used to be El Taco #2, had great salsas, taco salads, fish tacos and reportedly, burritos (I don't eat those)...I have not been in a few months, but everytime I go, it is packed.

Agreed re: La Bonita vs. La Sirenita. Fish tacos at Sirenita were AWFUL and they don't even do tamales.

We went yesterday and sampled many dishes at what seemd like a bazillion taquerias. Thanks for driving us around Nick! It was a blast! I think I liked the carnitas at Salvador's in Woodburn the best. And the baked goods...oh, my Lord! A good time was had by all. Anybody that missed out...check out portlandfood.org and come along the next time!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Glad you enjoyed yourself duckduck. Here's a rundown of what we did:

Salvador's Bakery (Woodburn)

- 6 tacos de asada

- 2 lb carnitas

- Bakery goods

Taqueria Ochoa (Hillsboro)

- 2 huarache platters (beans, rice, guacamole) one with lengua, one with al pastor

- 3 gorditas de carnitas

- 1 lb birria de chivo

Poncho's al Pastor (Vancouver)

- 6 tacos al pastor

- 3 quesadillas de maiz con queso

Tortilleria y Tienda de Leon (Gresham)

- Puerco con nopales en salsa roja

- Costillas de puerco en salsa roja

- Barbacoa (Cabeza)

- Chiles rellenos

- Frijoles negros

- Salsas

- Tortillas calientes

For all this food, plus a 15 person van and gas for this huge loop, we only spent $20/person. We're thinking of doing something similar in early fall for the wine country.

It's hard to say what's the best of these. They're all unique. But I did re-affirm that Poncho's has the best al pastor in the metro area that I've tried and as good as any I've had anywhere, really. Plus, the lady there is extremely nice.

There were also mariachis at Su Casa in Hillsboro when we did a quick tour. I'm not sure I ate a single mediocre thing all day. Some things weren't as good for my palate as others. But everything was at least good, with some things excellent, like birria de chivo at Ochoa, the pastor at Poncho's, the guisados, frijoles, and salsas at de Leon, and the carnitas at Salvador's (which wasn't even as good as it normally is).

btw, every one of these places made the tortillas fresh.

Here's the thread at portlandfood.org: http://www.portlandfood.org/modules.php?na...=viewtopic&t=30

• 2 months later...

The owner of Poncho's al Pastor in Vancouver had told me that her favorite taqueria is Luis's in Woodburn. Ever since then I'd wanted to try it.

They have a good menu and offer huaraches and a large selection of meats. They also take credit cards. I ordered way too much food: a pork tamal, a carnitas taco, a chicharron taco, a carne asada sope, and a cheese quesadilla. The quesadilla was just a folded corn tortilla, unfortunately. I still haven't found a place that makes real quesadillas in town. The tamal was a little dense for me. I prefer interior style tamales that are lighter. The tacos, interestingly, came with shredded cabbage. They were pretty big tacos with freshly made tortillas. The meats were all good. The sope was nice as well.

They don't have house made salsas as far as I could tell. They're not as good as Salvador's, imo, but they're another good option in Woodburn.

Pics:

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?op=mod...bumName=album73

• 3 weeks later...

New taqueria, a little dive just north of Tacoma on 17th in Sellwood. But it was quite good. I had three tacos with freshly made tortillas (25 cents extra -- but ask for it): carne asada, adovada, and al pastor. They had sold out of carnitas.

All three were good. They cook each to order and do a good job of keeping the meat tender while searing on a caramelly crust. The marinades for both the adovada and the al pastor were tasty. The tortillas were tender and the tacos included cilantro and cabbage.

Their salsas are acceptable, their red a slightly watery tomato and chile de arbol salsa, the green, an avocado puree.

If you eat in, they also give you free chips, which are premade and mediocre. But chips aren't something I expect from a taqueria and it's a real bonus when they're the quality of La Iguana Feliz's.

The menu included burritos, tortas, tamales, and enchiladas. There are several specials, too, such as three tacos, beans, and rice for $5. They also have eggs and chorizo.