• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confucius

Rosie

No fried noodles. No tea, No soy sauce. No chopsticks. No fortune cookies. No sliced oranges. But the three dishes we tried at Confucius, 558 Washington Blvd, Jersey City were good. We stumbled into this large restaurant by accident and had a pleasant enough dining experience. In all fairness I did see one couple eating with chopsticks and I saw bowls of fried noodles by the waiter's station but I guess you have to ask if you want them.

We shared a large portion of cold noodles listed as having a spicy sesame sauce. The sauce had a delightful peanut flavor but was not spicy. However, the house special tofu casserole with stewed diced chicken, dry shrimp, tofu, fresh mushrooms, and peppers was spicy and a nice alternative to the usual Chinese dishes. Lowell had a lamb dish with broccoli, bamboo sprouts and red pepper. This was also quite tasty but missing the spice. Anyone been here? Phone: 201-386-8898

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

No fried noodles. No tea, No soy sauce. No chopsticks. No fortune cookies. No sliced oranges. But the three dishes we tried at Confucius, 558 Washington Blvd, Jersey City were  good. We stumbled into this large restaurant by accident and had a pleasant enough dining experience. In all fairness I did see one couple eating with chopsticks and I saw bowls of fried noodles by the waiter's station but I guess you have to ask if you want them.

based on my humble experience, unless you're asian, you have to demand the chop stix and noodles in most places. Maybe they don't want to embarass occidentals?

I've noticed that Chengdu 46 and Hunan in Fairfield treat you differently if you're with somebody who orders in Chinese.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Bottom line... or susser sez... if you make believe it's not Chinese (or even close), don't travel more than 10 minutes to get there, close your eyes to the decor and tolerate the service, it's good stuff. The best JC has to offer at this point. fwiw.

HUH??? :biggrin:

Actually, you are probably right but one assumes that when one is going to a Chinese restaurant in NJ one would get all the items that we didn't get! :rolleyes:

FWIW--I hear that there is a Japanese restaurant opening in the Harborside Financial Building V. Should we not expect sushi there? :laugh:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 6 months later...

No fried noodles? No soy sauce on the table? Sounds good to me!!!

But I wonder why all the items you mentioned weren't there. No tea? Trying to lower the overhead?

I do get treated differently when I ask for chopsticks and order in Chinese. Sad but true. But what you order also gets attention. When I go in a place and see that the Chinese customers have pickled vegetables, I always ask for them.